What scope for AR-10 20inch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered the Armilite 1" scope mount. I surely can find plenty of decent scopes in the 1" area in my price range. I'm just not wanting to spend thousands of bucks on a scope right now.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered the Armilite 1" scope mount. I surely can find plenty of decent scopes in the 1" area in my price range. I'm just not wanting to spend thousands of bucks on a scope right now.

You can get a nice scope with a 30mm tube and a great mount for well under $600-$700. That being said, you can probably find a decent scope with a 1" tube, but it definitely won't be ideal for 600yds.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man-sized targets? Heck, WW2 snipers were doing that out to 600+ yards, using 2- to 4-power, 0.75" to 1" scopes :P

While it's nice to have a fine scope on an accurate rifle to realize MOA or better out to those distances, it's just as much fun dinging 24" iron targets using an old 91/30 PU sniper with an equally-old 3.5X scope. Point being, you don't have to spend oodles of money to get a nice scoped setup for hitting man-sized targets at 600 yards. 1" rings won't preclude that, though admittedly if you want to get down to breadbox-sized targets, 30mm rings are a definite plus.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I go ahead and get 30mm rings and a cheaper scope, then I can at some point get a better one down the road and I won't have to buy a new mount correct. This would put me in a better position if I wanted to really get more accurate.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I go ahead and get 30mm rings and a cheaper scope, then I can at some point get a better one down the road and I won't have to buy a new mount correct. This would put me in a better position if I wanted to really get more accurate.

Exactly - this subject has been hashed and rehashed on this particular section - search for "long range" or "scope" and you'll get 10 or more threads giving a lot of good advice on what to buy on a budget.

I've got a $400 Falcon Menace on my rig (which is a low-end scope compared to most of the folks I shoot with) and its honestly the weakest point of my rig - but it does the job and I don't mind using it until it fails.

You don't even really need a "mount" for your optics unless you want to place the scope forward of the flat-top rail (because no matter how secure/free-floating your quad-rail might be, you shouldn't mount an optic to it).

If you can live with the scope being further back (and you can correctly mount the rifle that way), then just get some medium or tall rings (Burris makes some XTR rings that are very nice for the money - right at $50) and your set.

Hell, even if you wanted a mount, you can get a LaRue Mount for like $200 and have enough to buy a good scope (Millet TRS-1, SWFA SS, Falcon Menace from sightwonders.com, Bushnell Elite 3200, Vortex Optics, etc...) and stay under $600 for the complete budget and your mount will be one you can keep for ever because they are friggin awesome (and hold their value).

And you can shoot 600yds with irons or a 3.5x or even a 10x, but unless you're at a facility that allows for easily going down and checking your target easily (without having to piss everyone else on the line off that you've got to go range-cold while you inspect holes on your target that are naked to the human eye), or buy a decent spotting scope, 600yds is hard to do with a lower power scope - I'm just saying.

Quality matters and glass clarity means a lot at those ranges, but if there are plenty of folks who can't spot their own holes on white paper with a Nightforce 22x, then I'm guessing that a 10x in your budget won't see it either.

Oh and for the record, I'm not a fan of mil-dots - I should have said Mil-based, but everyone likes what they like, so you might end up loving dots - I have a mil-based half-hash / full-hash mark reticle on mine that I love for measuring and doing range-finding.

I'm actually looking to upgrade to a MOA based reticle, but I haven't seen a lot of those in the budget you listed, so I didn't bother throwing that out there.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright got the order changed to 30mm mount. Now just have to find a scope. Rifle is coming in next week and I love to shoot em the day I get em. Guess I can just put my buis from my ar-15 on it just to shoot.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He you can get into a Burris XTR for about that price range, really good glass IMO I have a XTR on one of my AR15s and it's nice optic. I think they have 2 models in the 36-40mm with mildot. I was going to put one on my AR10 after I get it built but I think I'm going to save up and go Nightforce or US Optics as of now

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Nikon 4x10 with BDC and it is mounted on my Armalite M-15 T, the glass is good but tha BDC dosn't match any bullet weight, tried it on my AR10 also with the same result. Get Mil dot scope and mil dot master.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wotach 4X14X50 or Falcon Menace 4X14X44 both under $400.00 Both are
good scopes for the money.
WonderOptics in Glenpool Ok. sightwonders.com
Matt Wonder is a great guy and his customer service is second to none.

Latest posts

Top Bottom