What the Pro's use blog...............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True. The IMR4350 for the most part used to be surplus from WWII until the last few years. It was my go to in the 06.

I've since went to the H4350, and Reloader17. My hunting bullet in the 06 which is the Barnes TTSX loves the Reloader17, not so much the H4350.

Same gun using H4350 is a tack driver on the Sierra 165 grain HPBT.

All that being said, I'm not shooting out to 500+ yds.

I was disappointed in the accuracy performance of the .243WSSM at first, but I'm going to look at some of the data in your link, and see if I can find a load that might help. I've got it tuned to 1 1/2" groups at a hundred, but that's really sloppy for a precision shooter.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
243WSSM I think has a thick neck was that talked about in the Lyman 49th The WSSM cartridges.
Those did not like to be loaded on the light side at all.
couple that with an AR platform that may add to the issues..That is a big group at 100 but is it the same at 200 or longer.
My good load now for my .308 shoots 1.6 at 300. at 100 it does not look good just around 3/4". and under 1" at 200 .
Just saying.. have you shot it at longer distances?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting read.

I use some of the same powders in my .243WSSM now.

Its used for hunting, not punching paper, so the bergers may not work.

The Bergers are not good for hunting in my experience, a few years ago, I shot a doe at about 25 yards head on, right in the chest and she ran off, no blood trail and we searched for half a day and never found her. I rechecked the scope against a target and it was right on, I blame the bergers not expanding on that loss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom