what to do with choke when shooting slugs from

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 12 guage shotgun? Do I remove it or what? Also, I got some slugs and lead bird shot for practice, but what should I get for actual hunting. I was told some slugs don't work well with smooth barrel shotguns. The slugs I got are for smooth bore barrel shotguns. My ammo is 2 3/4, but I can also shoot 3 inch from it also just fewer rounds in at one time. So for deer, what slug should I use? And if I do turkey what shells?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifled slugs I've used said full choke or less but improved cyl is the best.

Do not shoot a shotgun with the choke out.

If you have sabot slugs you'll need a rifled barrel for them to work.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shooting slugs from a smooth bore - there is not a problem with this, it is that they don't perform as well as a rifled barrel concerning distance and accuracy. you are limited to around 100 yards and the accuracy is not real consistant. but, my son and i have taken a few deer with rifle and black powder and all have been under 100 yards. if you are using a feeder you can get real close to the deer.

with a rifled barrel shotgun shooting slugs made for such - i believe the distance goes up to 125-150 and much more accurate than a smooth bore. not as accurate as a rifle.

i have shot plain smooth bore slugs from a smooth bore shotgun and i am right on at 50 yards. i have not tried them any farther but i would not be suprised i would be on at 75 yards.

use birdshot for birds - 2 3/4 is plenty unless for duck
use slugs for deer - do not use 3" they kick like a mule - JMO
for turkey - use a turkey choke or extra full and #5 or #6. If you can stand the recoil use a 3" but remember you have to be right on and if a 3# causes you to flinch, then you could miss.

above all practice. you can buy turkey targets, actual size and practice with the shells you will use. aim for the neck inbetween the head and body. if you aim for the head then possibly 1/2 of your shot will go above the head into the air. if you aim for the neck, you get some shot in the neck and some in the head. i have turkey targets and shot a few different shells and counted the number of hits in the neck and head and this determined the shells/brand/shot size i use.

also with turkey use a shooting stick, or just a branch with a 'y' to steady the gun, turkeys and really get your heart pumping and this can cause a miss.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put in a cylinder or improved cylinder; maaaybe a modified if lead, not steel shot.

I'm not sure what would happen if you shot with no tube in - anyone know for sure?

If you shoot one without the choke in, your accuracy will suffer, and plastic from shot wads, or lead from a slug will build up in the threads. This will require a trip to a gunsmith with a proper thread tap to clean out the plastic/lead.

Modern and older slugs designed for smoothbore shotguns will work in any choke, including full.
They are built that way by the manufacturers for the simple reason, that some people may not understand chokes, and they were trying to prevent damage to barrels.

My son shot slugs through a scoped rem 1100 smoothbore in mod choke, and could hold a 5" group at 100yds.

You already have good advise on turkey loads from an earlier post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom