What to do with the Colt?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'm turning into a Colt guy. I picked up a slightly rough Commander to befriend my new Commander. The one I just bought is a 70 series and blued. The blueing is pretty rough and needs to be redone.

Here's my dilemma. I want this to be a home defense/carry gun. I'm definitely going with night sights. What night sights should I get?

Also, this gun may be holstered a lot. At first I thought I would re-blue it. But since its going to be in a holster often, is there a better (more durable, but not ugly) finish for that? I don't want it to be some pimped out gun but it doesn't have to be super pretty, just very functional.

Think I will also put Crimson Trace grips on it. So my questions are

1) Whose night sights?
2) What finish should I use (most durable)?

Thanks for helping out!

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm turning into a Colt guy. I picked up a slightly rough Commander to befriend my new Commander. The one I just bought is a 70 series and blued. The blueing is pretty rough and needs to be redone.

Here's my dilemma. I want this to be a home defense/carry gun. I'm definitely going with night sights. What night sights should I get?

Also, this gun may be holstered a lot. At first I thought I would re-blue it. But since its going to be in a holster often, is there a better (more durable, but not ugly) finish for that? I don't want it to be some pimped out gun but it doesn't have to be super pretty, just very functional.

Think I will also put Crimson Trace grips on it. So my questions are

1) Whose night sights?
2) What finish should I use (most durable)?

Thanks for helping out!

Get it coated if you are worried about holster wear (Accurate Iron/ OlYeller should be able to do it, and a little more). Personally, I like my guns to have a little wear on em.

As far as sights, Im pretty partial to novaks for 1911s.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What coating would be best for this purpose? Or, is it just a matter of personal preference?

cerakote, duracoat, robar...

If you want high resistance, look for something thats a bake on ceramic type coat.

I will say, with the exception of bluing, I would be apt have a pro coat it, specially if its going to be a carry.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With crimson trace grips why do you need sights?

I would Parkerize it if you want long lasting trouble free finish, Just keep it oiled and you are set to go.

Either Mike at Olyeller or I could do that for you (but he lives closer to you than I do.)

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crimson Trace grips are a luxury that can make quick and accurate aim a breeze. But I don't want to be completely dependent on them. Hence the night sights. I'm trying to make this as best a home defense/carry gun as possible.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont see any problem running a laser with conventional sights. I can see it being quite handy when your eyes are adjusting from bright to dim light. I would, however, train extensively to not be distracted by the dot when using the sights nor hesitate because of laser aim wobble.

I forgot about parkerize. 67RS, I can show you a springer that has a factory parkerized finish. It was my carry gun for 6 years and was worn everyday. Little to absolutely no wear.

In fact, forget my other list of coats. Get it parkerized.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like Parkerizing it is. Looked at some photos of pistols that had been Parkerized. Didn't look bad at all.

Thanks for the replies!

WMD, I will be talking to you later about this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom