What was the turning point for firearm sales and ownership?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did the attempt on Reagan spur anything? I don't remember a big outcry after that. Then again, I may have forgotten something!

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I tried to block it out! How could I forget hi cap mag bans? I really remember the day the ban went away. Whew! Crazy day...

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember a kid bringing an old rusted up 1911 for show and tell in 2nd grade. Nobody freaked out and nobody went to jail.

You're 27 and I'm 30 so we can kind of relate to our upbringing and attitudes towards guns. When I was in first grade we had a pioneer day/land run day, a kid brought a pair of SAA pistols in a nice leather holster. The teacher let us check them out and they were given to the principal until school was out. I told my dad about it and he commented that he and his dad would prop guns that they used for hunting earlier in the day in the corner of the class room. They didn't have to "check" them into the principal. Now, they would freak out if a kid brought a gun to school. Times...they are a changin'

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The eighties had big events that changed the gun world around. First it was Lennon getting shot. I remember watching Monday night football that night and Howard Cosell delivered the news that Lennon was shot. Then just a months later in March of 81, Reagan and Brady was shot. The Brady shooting led to legislation that still exists today for formal gun sales. And then the event that I believe really started the anti gun laws in Cali was the Mcdonald's shooting in San Ysidro in 84. Then shortly after that, I remember being here in OKC when the Edmond Post office shooting happened in Aug 1986.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. The Kennedy assassination was the pivot point. At least that's the way I've experienced it in my 64 years. BK (Before Kennedy) and AK (After Kennedy). Just another reminder that nothing changes for the bad guys. They'll always get their way. It's the good guys who get punished.
I'm the same age and agree with this. After his assassination things started going downhill quickly and the demonizing of gun owners started.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For the record in case anyone is interested, JFK 22/nov/1963, MLK 04/apr/1968, RFK 06/jun/1968. Date of GCA, 22/oct/1968. I've said it before on this forum, and I sure no one will believe it now, especially you youngsters, who want, or at least think you want, cause you can't have, a brand new shiney full auto. But the fact, still is, that had you been alive, and paying attention, you would quite probably have a different take on the FOPA of 1986.

Latest posts

Top Bottom