What was the turning point for firearm sales and ownership?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall local hardware stores, Sears and the like all selling guns in the 70's and I'd be sure to get all the glossy manufacturer's product line pamphlets every fall. I'm sure FFL hassles, liability, mis-directed anti violence sentiment, local and Fed laws all made it easy to quit gun sales. Even in the '90's, Long's drugstores in Co. Springs had an awesome selection of guns and ammo. After a couple of violent gun robberies, they dropped the sales. Later, they were bought out by CVS and had no chance of gun sales.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it has been a gradual move....it can be identified by actions taken in a given year but the process began and moved forward when our society began the move to the cities...while we were largely an agri based country with family farms people grew up knowing and understanding the gun as a tool to acomplish a certain outcome...after generations of city folks...they only see one side of the balanced equation...and...more importantly have absolutly no concept of the "tool" being used as it was intended...since most of our society is city bound and outnumber the rest of us...we must stop and thank those brilliant individuals that gave us the 2nd amendmant....what we have to do now is STOP THE DETAINING OF PEOPLE FOR PHSYC EVALUATIONS that means under current law they can never own a firearm....STOP IT NOW!!!!! disarming the public is the first step along the trail blazed by Adolph Hitler....

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep - GCA of 1968 which was brought about on the heels of the JFK assasination. Prior to that you could order all kinds of firearms from mailorder houses, etc. Back pages of a lot of magazines had surplus firearms & ammo you could order pretty cheap (like Oswald did), but that all went to hell with the GCA and it has gone downhill since. I look for the Colorado theater shooting to cause some proposed legislation to restrict magazines & weapons. Not sure congress can pass any more gun control now, though - too many grassroots voters will fire their elected officials for anti-gun votes and they know it.

Cedar Creek

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. The Kennedy assassination was the pivot point. At least that's the way I've experienced it in my 64 years. BK (Before Kennedy) and AK (After Kennedy). Just another reminder that nothing changes for the bad guys. They'll always get their way. It's the good guys who get punished.

Latest posts

Top Bottom