What would be better in a small gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would be better in something like say a XDM 3.8 sub-compact? The 45ACP model or 9mm?
Or any small gun in particular.
I'd get something in 40 but the price for the ammo on that is a bit to much so I'm kinda stuck with 9mm and 45ACP.
I could go with something like .380 or .32 but if I have some cracked out meth head, for say, running at me with a blade, I don't think .380 or .32 would work unless I put one perfectly in between the eyes.
So I kinda need help on what would be a better caliber to get before making a purchase on something that I want.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Meh, flip a coin.

Shoot both, see which you like better. Good bullets in 9mm mean you're not really giving up anything in terms ability to defend yourself.

Maybe less power in 9mm, but you get a few extra rounds.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh, flip a coin.

Shoot both, see which you like better. Good bullets in 9mm mean you're not really giving up anything in terms ability to defend yourself.

Maybe less power in 9mm, but you get a few extra rounds.

That's what I'm kinda thinking, that's why I like 40 cuz you got more rounds than 45 and more "power" than 9mm. So it's kinda like the best of both worlds, except the price.
I had a Glock 22 and we'd have to spend more money for ammo for than than the rest of our guns!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of LEO's are getting away from the 9 and going back to the 40.
If you can possibly go with a 4" barrel you will have a legal deer hunting weapon. if you go with the .40, 357 sig or 10mm

I really see no point in having a single purpose weapon.. why did you get the 9MM? in case i need to shoot someone.
I would like to think i could shoot some other type of meat.
I vote for a minimum of .40

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the thing with today's modern ammo you aren't losing or gaining a huge amount when comparing high quality defense ammo. Five years ago nobody considered the .380 capable of being a defensive caliber but then Hornady made it capable. In a subcompact/compact you can choose .380, 9mm, 40S&W or .45acp and as long as you are using the right ammo it's going to do the job.

The .380 and .32 are worlds apart, the modern .380 with modern ammo is perfectly capable of stopping a "cracked out meth head" just like a 9mm or whatever else. Shot placement is going to be the deciding factor in that contest. If you want a subcompact or compact you can pretty much choose whatever you prefer. An M&P Shield in 9mm is a very effective tool with quality ammo. The whole point of the subcompact or compact is to carry a gun that is easy to hide when you can't carry a full size. Pick a good gun and whichever caliber you prefer. I like .45acp just because but a 9mm is going to work as will a .380. My personal conceal carry gun is an STI Elektra, comes in 9mm or .45acp, I chose .45 just because I like the caliber but the 9mm can be equally effective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom