What would you do...wind direction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Marksman
Reaction score
I was planning to hunt all day today, yesterdays forecast said the wind would be out of the SE all morning, which is perfect. Then the forecast changed and they said it would be from the North until this afternoon then SE. So I decided to wait until this afternoon. However, I know this is the perfect morning to be out there, so should I have hunted even though the wind was not favorable? What would you have done?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing staying out of that area, but made a mistake by not being in the woods (of course that always feels like a mistake). I beleive that deer use smell, sight, and sound in that order to ID things including danger. If they smell you, its game over.

I would have set up in a stand that makes the best sense based on the conditions. No amount of scent lock or cover scent can get rid of 100% of human odor. They help, but don't "eliminate" it as the commercials say.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they smell you, its game over.

I would have set up in a stand that makes the best sense based on the conditions. No amount of scent lock or cover scent can get rid of 100% of human odor. They help, but don't "eliminate" it as the commercials say.

They ability of a deer to smell is about the same as a dog, and they use dogs to sniff out drugs that are floating in Hai Karate aftershave lotion.
Underarmor gear got an expensive lesson in saying their clothing eliminated human scent.
IMHO you did well staying out of that area until the wind is in your favor. No need to alert them.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most important thing to remember when bowhunting is the wind. If the wind isn't right for one stand go to a different one. If you don't have a stand/blind that will work for that wind, don't go. You did the right thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom