Whataburger in KC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Decades ago they made an outstanding, old fashioned burger at most of their locations. Over the years it seems their QC has dropped off, suppliers change, foods no longer have the same flavours. The only tomatoes I find anymore that taste like tomatoes to me are out of home gardens and some local greenhouses. Most are picked too early, bad texture, and no flavor. Meat is the same way. Feedlots, lots of corn, sugars, starches, and then pack with brine to extend shelf life. Shipped in from overseas. Many also feed livestock dried chicken and turkey droppings which really does not help the flavour. So yes, decades ago Whataburger made a most excellent burger. Now, it is hit and miss. I loved them 40 years ago. Now it is rare to get one but I will in preference to most other heart attacks in a sack.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I bought some french fries there about three weeks ago. I think after potato, the main ingredient is MSG. I broke out with my usual MSG cold sore and it took about a week before Abriva started knocking it down. They tasted super extra salty but I ignored the warning sign. Stupid me. The sad part is in the past those fries never tasted any where near as salty as these did, and I never had a problem with them before.

Woody

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Woody, instead of spending on abbreva buy some L-Lysine. Buy the L- as that is the one which acts upon the body, it is also the active ingredient in abbreva. Take the tablets as directed and it will work faster than the topical. I take 1000mg then 500 in 12 hours and every 24 hours thereafter on an empty stomach. L-Lysine helps keep viruses from being able to replicate, it aids your white blood cells. FWIW.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I bought some french fries there about three weeks ago. I think after potato, the main ingredient is MSG. I broke out with my usual MSG cold sore and it took about a week before Abriva started knocking it down. They tasted super extra salty but I ignored the warning sign. Stupid me. The sad part is in the past those fries never tasted any where near as salty as these did, and I never had a problem with them before.

Woody
Sorry, meant to quote you…..

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
the whataburger near me was a guilty pleasure for late night (possibly inebriated) taquitos.
but i have eaten fast food as many times as i can count with my fingers in the past two years.

last time i went, it was the only time i have seen it without drive thru line wrapped around the parking lot.
EXTREMELY salty, chicken was overcooked (this happens with all fast food, almost never worth ordering chicken), fries were soggy.
not like i had remembered, but it did seem like not a single employee was over the age of 18, whatever that's worth.
the spicy ketchup is the best thing they have.

i think with the increase in fast food delivery services, the lines make waiting for fast food impossible. basically, no one would even *consider* sitting in that line unless they were getting paid; thus all the people getting paid to sit in the drive thru make the line impossibly long for someone who just wants a burger.

i've given up and just cook at home every day now. if i want a burger i tend to hit up the garage. at this point it's cheaper and faster than fast food. and usually way better.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WE bought a couple of milk shakes at Whataburger several months ago and there was "watch spring" on top of the lid and my wife won't eat at Whataburger again. Dang!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked Whatburgers A1 Thick and Hearty but I do not think they make it anymore. Also like most fast food places they have lost that home style touch. Now it is all to processed.

One of my biggest complaints about fast food burgers is every place that does flame broiled, sees the need to hide the flavor in to much mayo, ketchup and mustard. If I pay for flame broiled, I want to taste it. Otherwise they might as well microwave it.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
the whataburger near me was a guilty pleasure for late night (possibly inebriated) taquitos.
but i have eaten fast food as many times as i can count with my fingers in the past two years.

last time i went, it was the only time i have seen it without drive thru line wrapped around the parking lot.
EXTREMELY salty, chicken was overcooked (this happens with all fast food, almost never worth ordering chicken), fries were soggy.
not like i had remembered, but it did seem like not a single employee was over the age of 18, whatever that's worth.
the spicy ketchup is the best thing they have.

i think with the increase in fast food delivery services, the lines make waiting for fast food impossible. basically, no one would even *consider* sitting in that line unless they were getting paid; thus all the people getting paid to sit in the drive thru make the line impossibly long for someone who just wants a burger.

i've given up and just cook at home every day now. if i want a burger i tend to hit up the garage. at this point it's cheaper and faster than fast food. and usually way better.

I normally always make The Garage one of my stops to eat when I’m in OKC. Love that place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom