What's the best way to have internet in the country?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamicollo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have Hughes net. I paid them around 280 to get out of contract with them. it was TERRIBLE. I said that I would go without internet before ever going back to a satellite internet. If your kids play PS3 then you dont have a prayer with satellite. I am on a company called Omega 1 but they are a western Oklahoma company. It is a wireless internet that get its bandwith from AT&T. its not great but it works. I would think that Pioneer would be a far superior product vs any satellite internet. Someone smarter than me can do the math or might know it off hand. but on satellite the fastest possible ping you can have is like 2.4 seconds. For online games (if you could connect to them) that is impossible. Hughesnet had a daily bandwith allowance that you would exceed in 15 minutes on YouTube. Wildblue I believe is a monthly but it really isnt very much if I recall right. I would switch to pioneer if I could get a phone at my house and they could provide service through it, but alas they can not.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Millenicom.com (my sons plays ps3 online with no prob).
Thanks, Matt. I have Verizon right now and it sucks. My contract is up next month.
flybeech, you can get Millenicom month to month with no contract.
Check it out.

And I'm doing this on Neanderthal's recomendation. If it doesn't work out, we can both cuss Neanderthal.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hughes net needs to be burned to the ground, that company is so full of it.

Get a couple hot spots and bridge them on a special router, that's the only way you reach land line speeds. Especially for online gaming.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is my number one pitfall of living in the country, poor internet service. I have used Melenicom mentioned in an earlier post for over 3 years. They use the Sprint Cell towers exclusively. My area had 1 meg service but it was in reality faster than the wired 3 meg ATT service I have at another location. $70/mo unlimited usage with only a month to month contract. The only consideration is if a true 1 meg speed is available from Sprint at your site. If that might be an option, try to get someone to visit that is using Sprints cell phone service and try a speed test. www.sprint.com/speedtest would be a comparison to what I know. If you can get 200 or so second latency and around 1 meg from 7PM till 11PM when the tower is loaded it might be an option. Other sites were similar but varied.

If that might work, you might PM me, I have additional information on a USB and wireless router setup that might work..

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might check and see if @link wifi is available in your area. Did have Pioneer, @link is much better.

@link looks very promising! Thanks for the tip!!!

Edit: Oh, yeah! I just talked to a friend who said @link is the bomb! I've used it and didn't even know it. Reliable and pretty fast, if you get the 6mbps download and upload plan at $75 bucks, or the 5/3 down/up plan for $60. Apparently no contract, $75 install is cheap enough and best of all, no requirement to buy a basic phone service at $30 like Pioneer forces you to do. The icing on the cake will be no data limits. I don't see anything like that on the website, yet. I'm going to read all the fine print.

Pioneer says they'll deliver up to 10mbps download for about $115, including the unwanted phone and some taxes, but the cost and upload speed of 756kbps is pretty lame.

The @Link website shows plenty of towers and I think one can hit my new place easily. I'll bet the towers are sitting right on the fiber, so maybe they will be able to upgrade the speed beyond 6mbps in the future. Thanks, cencrunner!

Last edited:

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to resurrect an old thread but was hoping someone might have some updates on trying the Millenicom service. We just moved to a rural area and I was about to go with Hughesnet until I read the comments here. I did some additional research and found that those guys are just a leaky bucket of suck. Millenicom sounds like the way to go for us in NE Oklahoma. So, any updates on experiences with their service? We're looking at the Hotspot plan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom