What's your opinion? Remington, Surgeon, or what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok guys I've got a question.

I've got a lot of guns, but no longer range/type.

So last year I was researching and found that Surgeon was one of the best actions you could get, well for christmas my wife bought me one of the 591 and it's been sitting here ever since as I decide to go 260, 308, etc.

As I've been reading more and more I think I want to go with a 308 so I can shoot the heck out of it cheap and easy.

Here's my scenarios:

1 Keep the Surgeon and build a 308 on it.
2 Buy a 700 5R and shoot it, while I keep the surgeon and build a 260 later.
3 Sell the Surgeon, buy a 700 5R and a Stiller Tac338 action to build a larger caliber later.

What do you think? What else could I do?

I can't get over the fact that I could get a factory 5R 308 that shoots .5"s all day when I would have 3 grand in the surgeon that did the same. If I sold the Surgeon and bought a 5R i could possibly afford to start a Stiller 338 in the next year...

What a dilema! Thanks guys

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the 591 and build a 308.
Down the road send your barreled action to your gunsmith and have him chamber you a 6.5x47, 260, .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. You can switch the barrels out in ten mins while keeping the same stock and scope.
Barrel and barrel work $600
AICS stock $900
Bed the rear tang and you are GTG.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't ditch that surgeon. If I ever get my hands on a 591 or the Badger M2008, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I'd sell them.

The 5R MilSpec is nice, but don't get too excited about stories of its accuracy - it won't touch a Surgeon with a good Hart, Kreiger, or Broughton barrel on it when you start getting beyond a few hundred yards.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build the Surgeon in 308. In a year or so buy another Surgeon, build in 260, but look at 6.5-284 before you do. Surgeon has a larger actions that will take 338 Lapua, build one of those down the road. Repeat process as often as you can. Check out the 5R barels here too.

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/

There really isn't anything like having a rifle built the way YOU want, not what some company makes for the masses. It is a terrible addition (custom rifles), I could help you by taking that Surgeon off your hands. I may even have a Remy sitting around that would be good trade stock.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddies .308 Surgeon makes 1/4" 5 round groups, my Savage that I built makes 3/8 to 1/2" 5 round groups with handloads and I spent $2500 less than he did...

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Option 1) Keep the surgeon and have a custom rifle build by john radke in arapaho ok

Option 2) Sell it then go with a savage 10 of some type (BAT, BAS-K, FCP, ect.)

Remington is great but savage's are generally running a bit cheaper but believe it or not they are more accurate than the 700 action!

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep the 591 and build a 308.
Down the road send your barreled action to your gunsmith and have him chamber you a 6.5x47, 260, .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. You can switch the barrels out in ten mins while keeping the same stock and scope.
Barrel and barrel work $600
AICS stock $900
Bed the rear tang and you are GTG.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

How exactly would I change the barrel that quick? Can you just unscrew them and replace it with the old barrel? I was always under the impression that you had to have the barrel installed for "good" with epoxy or something.

I think the Surgeon would be nice, but if I can get a $1,000 rifle that shoots .5" is there a point in the $3,000 surgeon?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys!

How exactly would I change the barrel that quick? Can you just unscrew them and replace it with the old barrel? I was always under the impression that you had to have the barrel installed for "good" with epoxy or something.

I think the Surgeon would be nice, but if I can get a $1,000 rifle that shoots .5" is there a point in the $3,000 surgeon?

You'll have to get a barrel vise and an action wrench. You just torque the barrel on with a torque wrench and it's done. Once the barrel is fitted to the action and head spaced it shouldn't change by removal and re-installation.

bjl333

Marksman
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My local precision guys has this thread about rifles. I don't know if it'll apply to your decision on the Surgeon or Remmy. But the original poster of this post also builds a lot of the precision guns competing in California. Many of them are Surgeon and GAP rifles. Dig around this site and see if anything is of interest to you. http://www.caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35

Good Luck and I hope this helps!!

Jordon

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re-read what EZB posted. If your wanting a LONG RANGE gun, then build on the surgeon and get a quality barrel, which is installed by a good smith. I say installed by a good smith, because if you don't know what your doing then your gun is gonna be toast. It's not difficult, but you have to get some measurements right. Besides if you buy a GOOD quality barrel, it's most likely gonna be a blank and needed turned, threaded, etc.

With that being said, yeah you can get a $1000 gun to shoot pretty well. However, it will be determined most by how much distance is long range to you. If you are only going to shoot 500-600yds and not shoot in a competition, then the 5R is gonna do the job. If your gonna shoot further, the 5R will do it, but not as well as the Surgeon that's well put together with quality parts. It's all a matter of what you are going to do with your gun. You can get everybody else's opinion in the world and all will most likely differ. Hope this helps

Your comparing a Ferrari to a Cadillac. Sure the Cadillac is a nice car, but the Ferrari is freaking sweet!

Latest posts

Top Bottom