Wheat harvest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's talking with the chevrons pointed backward when your looking at the top pf the tire facing forward. Tractor tires are designed to be self cleaning by pushing the mud out to the sides. Reversing the direction is supposed to assist with more traction backward. I've heard it's in some JD owner manuals.

If you think about it the chevron is backward for max traction. Take a chevron or triangle shaped hoe. Would you use the hoe as it is with the pointy end toward you to climb out of a hole or reverse it if you could? The tread is confusing because it is facing the opposite way than your direction of travel when it hits the ground. Look at your tracks and try to figure out which way your tractor drove to make those tracks.
My brain hurts.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say reversed, are my tires not getting max traction in reverse now?

That's a yes. Keep in mind that "most" tractors are there for pulling an implement behind it, thus Snattlerake's description of the direction of the "chevron" at the top with the tip of the "chevron" being pointed forward. That is the best direction for pulling. Then, if one is trying to pull something with the tractor in reverse, the "chevrons" are backwards and not getting as much traction.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom