Wheel Weight Use and Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend (and new OSA member) has access to a lot of lead wheel weights. Does anyone use these and what's the process to getting them cast ready?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use hundreds of pounds of them.
Some of the lead in the weights is harder than others.
I sort them to some extent.
Then i take a stainless pot like you would boil water and eggs in.
Make a nice camp fire in the BBQ grill or a pit..lot's of coals and some flames..
Then i melt it down outside.
Then skim the steel off the top with stainless spoon.
I then stir and stir with a pine stick.... then pour into ingot molds..or dry aluminum coke cans.

If you can get then then do so..
I pay 40-50cents a pound for them ..or if i am hurtin i must go to standard steel and pay 85cents
Of course fishing sinkers ,,i made many 100's of them
Most stuck in the bottom of webber falls in the arkansas river.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. That's very helpful. Do you pay .40-.50 per pound of weights or of ingots?

What we might be looking for is a trade of cast bullets for bulk weights.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pay 40-50cents for the wheel weights with the steel clips on them i a bucket usually with cigarette buts and valve stems mixed in.
I just called metal check and they are giving 40cents a pound for them lead wheel weights.

Erick do you need the weights or the bullets????

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i bet i've melted a ton or so over the years. be careful as newer weights are zinc and steel. the zinc will melt like lead but foul your mixture. more thyan 2% zinc is considered fouled. if your melted mixture becomes frosty looking unlike liquid mercury, then its got zinc in it.
i drop my weights directly into my production pot or melt them into ingots for future use. pre-melting helps keep your pot clean though.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pay 40-50cents for the wheel weights with the steel clips on them i a bucket usually with cigarette buts and valve stems mixed in.
I just called metal check and they are giving 40cents a pound for them lead wheel weights.

Erick do you need the weights or the bullets????

My friend has access to lots of weights. I think there is a good method of culling out the zinc weights so they could be sorted.

We don't have the equipment to smelt and mold so we could be looking to sell or sell and trade for bullets.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend has access to lots of weights. I think there is a good method of culling out the zinc weights so they could be sorted.

We don't have the equipment to smelt and mold so we could be looking to sell or sell and trade for bullets.

You can visually id them. Also, keeping your melt temp below the melting point of zinc should work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom