When is the best time to use your call?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had success a couple times calling when I've seen them out in the distance. Probably only worked 10% of the times I've tried when seeing them first. I blind call sometimes and it has really only worked once on a young buck. I try not to do it too often though...

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score
I've never tried calling or rattling until this season. I always tried to stay as quiet and scent free as possible and not bring the deer's attention to me.

I went hunting with my friend last weekend and it was a whole new world. I was in a ground blind and he was in his tripod/box blind. As soon as we both sat down, he went crazy. Rattling, Rattling...calling over and over. Sounded like a deer party. I thought that there was no way anything was going to come into that.

30 mins later a 10pnt came stomping in, then a 8pnt right after him. My friend just kept on doing his thing. The 10pnt almost walked into my window for a shot.

I still have mixed feelings about it

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score
If you've never done it before get on youtube and do some research if you can. A lot of helpful videos on there.

Give it a shot, you never know what might happen. My friend and I did the same thing Sat. night and we didnt see a thing, not one deer. Sitting out in the woods is still better than sitting on the couch, IMO.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone use a doe-bleet (like the Primos Can)?

That's the one that I don't know when to use.

I have used it but never got any response until last Sat morning. It was a little breezy so I would wait for a few minutes of quiet to call. I called 3-5 times and then put it down. I did it maybe 4 different times about 10 min apart. I saw an 8 pt coming to me on a string. He was looking for love! All I had was a head shot, I had to wait on him to turn his head and body a little to make the shot. From the direction he came it was obvious he was coming to the call and not just passing thru.

Schuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have just been able to cold call deer in one time and within 10 mins an 8 point came in looking to fight. The rest of the times that I tried nothing showed up. I have seen deer off in the distance that I was able to call in closer, but it doesn't always work. My best suggestion is if you feel comfortable calling go ahead, but if you are a little standoffish then try to call about 30 mins to an hour before you are going to leave. This gives them time to go ahead and come on in. Although you do take a chance at scaring one off, but that is always a chance that I would take if I hadn't seen anything. Watch a lot of hunting videos and figure out what techniques they are using and practice them before going out and trying. It is just like turkey hunting, practicing sometimes pays off in the end.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to a hunter this weekend who told me that a few weeks back he had a 30 minute grunting season with what he thought was a big bruiser. They kept creeping closer and closer until he and the other hunter grunting were 15 yards apart both at full draw.

When's the best time to use your call? When another hunter isn't using it nearby :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom