Where do you think we currently are in the rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Creek County deer movement seems to be slowing down, at least in my hunting area. Where do you guys think we are in the rut? Near lockdown or in it? Do deer seem to be currently moving where you are hunting? Are you seeing more deer in the morning, midday or in the evenings?

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just asked the million dollar question! Some days I see a lot of deer and others I see nothing. Yesterday in Custer County I seen a buck chasing two does. Sunday I jumped up a Monster buck bedded down with a doe. So I would say the rut is still on in my neck of the woods and I think that the cold weather will help get them moving a little more also.

je4bowhuntin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alot of rut activity incentral ok aroundr here last weekend I had friends that finally see big bucks moving after does on Tuesday and wensday at black kettle and some chasing around Ponca city. Last Sunday the mature buck I shot chasing was the first big deer I had seen chasing. Hopefully it's not over yet I'm gonna hit the woods with my reezen in the morning and see what's moving.

Deercrz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was wondering the same. Seen lots of deer first and second day at kaw now haven't seen a deer since. Drove from kaw to Enid today for turkey day was driving midday and no deer. Drove back before dark seen one dead and one buck checking a scrape. Last year same drive seen well over 30 on way back. Where have they all gone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where have they all gone.

They have does cut out and herded into the woods. I checked my trail cam pics last night. Had 230 pics on it. All yearling bucks, and knot heads.
Only one pic of a single doe and that was at 0230.

In NC ok we are at the tail end of the rut. In another week we will start seeing the does hitting the wheat fields again.
I don't remember the guys name, (Dr James Kroll or something) is a famous wildlife biologist, and said the other day on tv that the peak of the rut is the absolute worst time to deer hunt, for the same reason you guys are saying.
Pre rut, is the hot time to be in the field, and that was 1 1/2 weeks ago in our neck of the woods.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm watching the outdoor channel and got a pretty good tip. With the weather being as warm as it has been, excluding today, you need to hunt like you do early season when it's warm, near water. When deer are in the Rut they are going to do what they do regaurdless of the weather. But with it being as warm as it has been they will become dehydrated and will need to get to water. Early season deer tend to go to water more so in the evening but now it could be at any time of the day.
Anyways, I thought it was good advice and think I might try a known spot for an all day hunt and see if I have any luck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm watching the outdoor channel and got a pretty good tip. With the weather being as warm as it has been, excluding today, you need to hunt like you do early season when it's warm, near water. When deer are in the Rut they are going to do what they do regaurdless of the weather. But with it being as warm as it has been they will become dehydrated and will need to get to water. Early season deer tend to go to water more so in the evening but now it could be at any time of the day.
Anyways, I thought it was good advice and think I might try a known spot for an all day hunt and see if I have any luck.

Makes sense.
With the rain we had a week ago we have little pools of water everywhere.
Took this cell pic of a buck on Saturday below my stand. It was warm, and he was drinking out of one of the small pools of water. It used to be a food plot before the grasshoppers cleaned it to bare ground.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v237_dennishoddy1_Photo0134.jpg

Deercrz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dennis my buddy shot a buck that busted whole rack off, glands where not colored at all and no smell someone in Ponca city told us the rut hadn't started here but I don't see how it hasn't.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Dennis my buddy shot a buck that busted whole rack off, glands where not colored at all and no smell someone in Ponca city told us the rut hadn't started here but I don't see how it hasn't.

Since last friday, I've been in the field before daylight, and don't leave until after dark. I can assure you the rut has been on, peaked, and will taper off from this point on. There will be single bucks out, either cruising, or just flat worn out from the rut. Seems to me that the mature, dominate bucks get the does, first, and whats left the immature bucks take over. Can't prove that with any thing other than personal observation, and trail cam photos. Just my opinion.
There is much scientific data that the Okla wildlife biologist have gathered that say the rut starts around Nov 16.

bill allen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That seems to agree with the action, or lack of, we have been seeing. The rut being around the 16th would suggest that that would be the time of peak breeding and restricted deer movement if I understand you right? Since about the middle of November our deer sightings have gone down considerably and what we have seen has mostly been small bucks. We have not been out in a few days and plan to start again tomorrow through the end of gun season. I rarely ever see much during the first week of gun season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom