Where do you think we currently are in the rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfrack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had 2 small bucks show up on the wheat about 5 this evening, a 6 point and a spike which had 2 full mainbeams with no points. The 6 point fed from 5-6, while the spike worked the treeline checking scrapes, licking branches and working a small rub.

Around 5:45 2 mature does came in and the spike locked up with tail straight out and grunted at them. He then jumped the fence out of my sight (big cedar trees in the way) but probably 20 yards northeast of me and it sounded like he had a little skirmish with another buck as I heard what seemed to be antlers clashing together. After a few minutes, he jumped back over the fence and went back to what he was doing.

The other buck (6) never lifted his head out of the wheat. The does did go out close to him to feed, but they wanted nothing to do with him, and he just had eating on his mind.

I have been seeing groups of does since last weekend in my neck of the woods (southeast Garfield) and it appears that the rut has just about run its course Imo.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. I glassed lots of does this am and only had one buck locked on a doe.
The other bucks were going to the does, but then just started feeding in the wheat once they figured out they weren't in heat.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's definitely not over in Major County. I've seen very few does all week long ... the fewest I ever remember seeing in some forty years of deer hunting. And, I had a buck hot after a doe about 0930 this morning ... the only one I've seen actively chasing all season.

JMoore1

Marksman
Reaction score
If its getting late in the rut and later in the season would it be better to stick with the early AMs and Evenings or would one have better luck during the mid day since deer are getting used to hunters in the AMs and Evenings?
I know mid day hunting isnt an ideal thing but i havent seen anyting since Sunday and figured if theyre up all night with these bright moons they are sleeping thru our AM hunts and hitting the fields mid day ish or late AM's?

FIRST POST!!!!:wave:

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about the rest of the state, but I shot a 5 point this morning right after he worked a scrape that wasn't there last weekend. Maybe it was just wishful thinking on his part.
45 min later I dropped a nice fat doe on the way out to get my jeep. Had a pretty good load when all was said and done.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If its getting late in the rut and later in the season would it be better to stick with the early AMs and Evenings or would one have better luck during the mid day since deer are getting used to hunters in the AMs and Evenings?
I know mid day hunting isnt an ideal thing but i havent seen anyting since Sunday and figured if theyre up all night with these bright moons they are sleeping thru our AM hunts and hitting the fields mid day ish or late AM's?

FIRST POST!!!!:wave:

Welcome to the forum first of all!!
I actually have been seeing more activity in the mornings. I look out over a wheat field that has a tree line with a creek in the middle of it.on it 1/2 mile away. In the am they are moving back and forth all day, but in the evening, almost no movement.
I wonder if they are on the other side, taking advantage of the warming sun?

I don't know. Just an observation on my part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom