Where in New England?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Janitor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where, in New England, are good places to eat and to see? We are going to the Boston Marathon, my brother and sister-laws are running, and then we are going to Portland Maine for our home base.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal Seafood in downtown Boston, and the Concord Inn in Concord to eat.
Lexington, Concord, to look at the site where the American Revolution shooting war started over the right to bear arms---back when MA still believed in it.
Area around the Wayside Inn has great color in fall.
North of Boston along the coast is scenic. Salem, etc.
Assume you know not to take a handgun to MA unless you have a MA license. You can't play tourist with a gun in the car in MA: serious penalties.

CraigA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anthonys pier 7 is good but expensive. In addition to clam chowder, you need to try a baked stuffed lobster, a great thing to have. Also Smith and wesson and Springfield Armory are only about 1 to 1.5 hrs west. Maybe worth a visit.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definately get out to Lexington/Concord...after that check out the Kittery Trading post in Kittery ME on your way to Portland. It's in an big outlet mall area, but IIRC it's a pretty huge outdoor store. We used to stop there on summer vacation trips down the coast of Maine. Kennebunkport is pretty cool to....go say hi to Bush Sr....nice little town too.

Skip the chain seafood joints, find the smallest port town you can (like Perkins Cove) and find the most rundown weatherbeaten shack you can. Then tear into some lobster with your bare hands! I'm getting jealous just typing this.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal Seafood is great, like mentioned before. If you can get up to New Hampshire there's a place on the strip in Manchester that has amazing burgers and phenomenal clam chowder. Phenomenal!!!! I totally don't remember the name of it though but I believe it's on Elm St. on the east side of the street.

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the seafood places are great. One of my favorites was a small place on one of the piers in Boston harbor. It was "no name" restaurant, meaning the place basically had no name! The matchbooks were plain blue, with "No Name" crudely stamped on it. It was really cool, and the food was good. Legal Seafood was all over, too, and I thought it was very good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Skip the chain seafood joints, find the smallest port town you can (like Perkins Cove) and find the most rundown weatherbeaten shack you can. Then tear into some lobster with your bare hands! I'm getting jealous just typing this.

If you take any advise of anybody posting so far.....this is Gospel!

I hate the lib yankee's but they do have awesome seafood places.

My fave was a house on the side of the road in New Hampshire, just northeast of Springfield VT that had a restaurant in the bottom floor.
I got a 3"thick Fillet covered with a lobster/clam bisque perfectly cooked. The best meal I've ever had to this day, and that was a few years ago.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a place called "Monicas" close to the downtown area but its in the old part of town (North Boston I think they call it). GREAT food

Latest posts

Top Bottom