Where the heck can I find some Zinc to do some plating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Planned on doing it outside but I've never worked with the stuff. Is that good enough?

Work with the wind at your back.
The older residents in Blackwell that worked or lived around that smelter died early or a miserable death because of the long term over exposure to the vapors while being smelted.
Zinc is good for humans in the right amount.
From the internet:
In some people, zinc might cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, metallic taste, kidney and stomach damage, and other side effects. Using zinc on broken skin may cause burning, stinging, itching, and tingling. Zinc is POSSIBLY SAFE when taking by mouth in doses greater than 40 mg daily.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a great idea from Mac. I going to get the zinc from either melting copper pennies or from some old D cell batteries.
The zinc in a penny will just drop out when heated to 400. And with the batteries, you can melt and pour into a flat bar and the peel off the contaminants.
Got my redneck project ready to start.
Melting pennies is illegal :)

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Work with the wind at your back.
The older residents in Blackwell that worked or lived around that smelter died early or a miserable death because of the long term over exposure to the vapors while being smelted.
Zinc is good for humans in the right amount.
From the internet:
In some people, zinc might cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, metallic taste, kidney and stomach damage, and other side effects. Using zinc on broken skin may cause burning, stinging, itching, and tingling. Zinc is POSSIBLY SAFE when taking by mouth in doses greater than 40 mg daily.

And, put a fan behind you on the upwind, or at least crosswind, side. I do this when melting scrap lead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom