Where to buy and what kind of wheat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use 4:1 hard red to hard white in our home grinding or occasionally 3:1:1 red/white/ corn or bean or random grain flour, here at home. We have a standard victoro grinder but I want a country mill big wheel with power kit attachment. Also for cheaper long term storage lots of feed stores will sell you "human consumption" wheat/oats/rolled corn etc. for not much more than the animal price. and we have even ground up the animal stuff and used it to no ill effect EXCEPT CORN ( they allow a larger margin of husks and such in the corn and there is a higher (bad something) content in it. They can be put into plastic food grade 55Gal drums and deoxygenated with dry ice, or if we get fancy we food savor it/freeze it in smaller bags and then fill up the barrel. I recommend plastic over metal if not individually sealing because of condensation in the metal barrels can get bad with our extreme temp swings in central Ok. We use n and r feed in Harrah or any of the shawnee mills. and get our bulk barrels via craigslist or from the feed stores themselves. ( for human consumption wheat we paid $9 per 50lbs wheat 8 per corn and 8-10 for oats this year/ slightly less last year and who knows how the weathers gonna be next year) one 55gal drum will hold approx 325ish lbs. i think for a family of four the mormon church recommends 400lbs of grain per yr, but that is very very very very low end and not nearly enough if you want more than flat breads etc.

Also sams club has th ebest price on yeast 2 5lb bags for 6 bucks for fleischmans and it can be frozen.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the best grain mill in my opinion, they have gone up in price a lot. I bought mine 2 years ago for $300.
http://www.amazon.com/Country-Livin...TF8&qid=1356161083&sr=8-5&keywords=grain+mill

As far a wheat goes, I stocked up on a lot, like a 2000 pounds worth. The problem I have is I no longer eat bread so what to do with the wheat.
I am experimenting with sprouting the wheat berries and feeding them to my animals. The rabbits really like it, I've read chickens and Tilapia will too.
That's next on the list.

For health reasons, people should not eat bread. I know this will upset most people who read this, but if you research the health issues associated with
grains, you will find I am right. The majority of autoimmune diseases present in our society today are related to the foods we eat, and grains are a big
part of that problem. Wheat today is not the same as our grandparents ate. Here is a link to a story that was on CBS news recently.
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/12.12/wheat.html

There is a solution, if you want to be healthy and still eat breads. The answer is to sprout the grain before you grind it. It means a lot more work, but
if we are talking about how do you stay healthy in a world potentially without doctors and medications, you better give this some serous thought.
The sprouting process changes the makeup of the grain, the Gluten is consumed or changed and no longer harmful to humans. Soak the grains in a
quart canning jar for about 24 hours. Rinse them several times, then put the grains into 3 or 4 more jars and set them in a east window sill. In about
3 days you will see the shell has cracked and a small 1/4" long tail has formed. Now take them and spread them out in a dehydrator and dry the grain
back out. At that point you can grind it and make your own breads. Here is a good example of a sprouted grain bread. Ezekiel.
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-ezekiel-bread-healthy-2165174.html

One last comment on sprouting grains, the nutrient content goes up 200-400% depending on the grain. You would be better off to sprout grains and
put them in a salad or feed them to you animals, then get the benefit of the grains from their meat. Sprouts are also live food, not dead processed
food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom