Who not to buy ammo from

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since 2016, I've had a great relationship with Freedom Munitions (out of Idaho). Their website is easy to use, and their pricing is really reasonable. They occasionally offer free shipping - sometimes with a minimum order size, sometimes not. My orders have consistently been filled quickly, and in seven years only one order was even slightly inaccurate. Customer service is phenomenal(!)... friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people. [By the way, I'm not affiliated with them, except as a satisfied customer.]

** That one inaccuracy was a 2018 shipment of new ammo (otherwise correct caliber and amount), when I had ordered/paid for re-manufactured. When I sent a photo to them, with an offer to pay the difference, they called to thank me (for helping keep their inventory records straight, I guess) - and to let me keep the order for original price. I haven't dealt with anyone else since that episode.
I have had good luck with Widners, good prices and lots of stock.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't buy from the neck-beards at gun shows,,,
Just a few months ago a friend bought two 550 round bulk packs from one.

When he got home he noticed the bottom of the boxes had been opened,,,
Each 550 round pack had just over half the ammo missing.

Fortunately he went on a Saturday,,,
Sunday he went to the show and talked to the organizer.

The organizer made the neck-beard refund my friends cash,,,
Made the neck-beard leave the premises,,,
And banned him from ever returning.

sgammo.com is my go-to ammo site,,,
They always have free shipping with $200.00 orders,,,
And have never ever messed up any ammo order I have made.

Aarond

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been times in the not too distant past that some online ammo stores were asking exorbitant prices for the ammo they had. That is their choice. My choice is that I would prefer to not buy from them. I try to vote with my money a bit. Unfortunately, my memory is not what it use to be. Wondering if others have any recollection of some of the companies we might tend to stay away from now that ammo is a bit more available and some of the prices are coming down. What started this tough process is a friend sent a link to a CTD article. It seems they asking huge prices.
I really like www.bulkmunnitions.com
They have a membership. If you buy the membership, everything has free shipping and no tax. What’s nice is you get points on each order that translates to something like 7-10 of your next order. If you order a lot, it’s a great deal.

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to go against the crowd slightly on this one. SGammo used to be competetive, but it feels like he used COVID as an excuse to really start gouging on prices. Even recently with the Lake City brass hoax, he rasied prices to 50+ CPR for 5.56 overnight. All his emails also started turning into the "panic buy now" nonsense.

My friends and I have been using Tactical Surplus USA for our group ammo buys lately.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with not buying ammo from SG Ammo. He has done the same thing Buds is accused of doing. Cancelling order due to "out of stock" then relisting it at higher prices later that night. And I don't like that he's local and won't let you pick up orders. If Im going to pay his shipping prices, I might as well have them actually shipped further than an hour drive.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used to do a lot of business with SG but like others said he’s used the fear mongering disguised as an email letter to scare business and prices up. Of course Sam isn’t the only one, but it does get old. I guess like many here we have been through so many ups and downs in the ammo buying market that we have learned our lesson long ago and buy when the political winds are in our favor, and prices are down. I do believe that during the Trump years many of the ammo companies, and ammo sellers, fell on hard times because people felt safe. Just remember to buy in good times and you’ll have a stash during the bad times and you’ll help keep manufacturers and your local guys eating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom