Where to buy reloading components?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am thinking about staring to reload, before I jump in and buy a press, I was wanting to price how much I would actually be saving. Where are the best places to buy bullets, powder, and primers? I am wanting to load 9mm, 45acp, and 380.

Thanks for the help

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the best online stores, speaking in terms of price? I have been to Dong's a few times and I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Powder Valley in KS. If you wait till Wannamachers they will bring it down for you tax free.

You can drive up there, but my experience has been the tax on a large order usually comes close to shipping and hazmat.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I am thinking about staring to reload, before I jump in and buy a press, I was wanting to price how much I would actually be saving. Where are the best places to buy bullets, powder, and primers? I am wanting to load 9mm, 45acp, and 380.

Thanks for the help

When starting out buy at Dongs.
Its way cheaper than mail-order because your only buying a small amount to get started.
The hazmat fee is killer.
Once you get heavily into it, you do what everybody else does and order from powder valley
for delivery at the Wannamacher show twice a year.

How much are you saving? Very little if any, if you are using jacketed bullets and you time is worth anything.
However if you use J&K hard cast bullets and want to do it as a hobby to get you off the couch and away from the boobtube. It still won't save you any money because you will just go shooting more.LOL!

You can figure that there is 7000 grains of powder to a pound and do your math.
3.5 gr = 2000 rounds
7 gr = 1000 rounds

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really depends on what cartridges you are loading for also. If you have in oddball stuff, the savings can be really hug. Take a look at factory .458 SOCOM prices. They are $2.50-$3.00 per round. You can reload them for about .60/round. Same with some of the magnum cartridges. Also, you can load subsonic rounds if you shoot suppressed. If you want the most accurate loads for specific firearms, you'll want to reload also.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Figure savings of 20-30% if you're loading jacketed, 35-45% loading lead.

Buy components in bulk from PV or Wideners for the absolute lowest powder and primer prices. Cases come from either the classifieds on a few forums or vendors on gunbroker.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off Fenix Tx...awesome band.

I usually get my reloading supplies from MidwayUSA or Brownells for the small stuff. I purchase bullets from Montana Gold. However, the pistol calibers are the hardest to reload for economically. It really depends on how much you are going to shoot. To reload pistol rounds in any great number, you at least need a turret press. I started out with the lyman T-mag. It was a good press, but I quickly realized I needed more speed and purchased the Hornady LNL progressive. With this press I can reload 500+ rounds an hour if my wife will fill the primer pickup tubes for me.

By the time you get the press, the powder measure and all the other tools you will want and need...you have made a pretty sizable financial commitment.

I reload 9mm with the Montana Gold Bullets for about 12.5 cents per round not including the cartridge brass. The brass usually costs 12-13 cents per round if buying new. If you are not opposed to lead bullets, you can get your per round cost in the 8 cent range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom