Do you reload or do you buy 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just reloaded my first 200 rounds of 9mm on a single stage. For me it was just a matter of reloading what components I already had on hand. I also had the free time available to sit down and do it.

Another thing that got me interested in reloading 9mm was projectile choice. Specifically, plated and coated bullets for shooting on steel. I read that plated and coated projectiles are safer to shoot on steel than jacketed ones.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both. I typically load every centerfire caliber I shoot, 9mm included. Back 'in the day,' before all the craziness, if someone had a good sale on factory ammo, I would buy a few boxes. My break point back then was ten dollars a box. Haven't bought any in a long while, but if I found some for fifteen bucks or less, I'd probably buy a few. I've still got components on the shelf for loading more 9mm as well as some factory ammo on hand.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I never buy loaded ammo typically. One huge contradiction to that statement.
When Wallyworld decided to quit carrying pistol ammo and put it on a major clearance, I bought every round they had in two stores.
Basically ended up with almost a pallet full.
Over the last two years, been trading it here and there for additional shooting/reloading gear/supplies.
Down to a couple thousand round I’ll hold on to until this reloading shortages subside.
Even if reloads cost as much as factory loads, I get some sort of therapy of firing something I built.
And now the allusive Mr Neckbeard has a face!!:bolt::cool:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I load hard to get and pricey ammo. Stuff for revolvers and rifles above the AR/AK platforms.

I did analysis on loading 9ball, 45ACP, 5.56, and 308 (M80ball), and hands down it was not worth the effort, simply because I can buy it cheaper, especially in volume and the amount used is not practical to reload. To load 1k of 9ball, I'll use up primers and powder only to expend it in a couple weeks or less and it costs more than getting 1k online with shipping. Same with the rest of the "cheap" ammo.

45C, 357, 38 spl, 44 spl, 44 russian, 38-40, etc, I can load for less than half what new is.
6.5CM, 30-06, 260Rem, 308 (118LR), I can reload for up to a 1/3 or less than new. 77gr 5.56 is even sketchy because you can find it on occasion for the same or less than you can reload sometimes. Especially the IMI deals that pop up.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at this, I don't think I could build 77gr much cheaper. IDK if it would be worth it other than therapy.
https://greencountryammo.com/556-x-...Type-Ships-out-Quickly_p_1340.html?redirect=1
And there are other that are cheaper if you go PPU or something.
I don't know, that ammo is very close to $1/Rd.

Loading that-
25 grains of some powder at $40/lb is about 14¢.
Add a dime for a primer, we're at 24¢.

How much is a 77 grain bullet? 25 cents again?

We're still under 50¢/rd. That's a savings of $50/100 rounds.

Even if I'm off by 20¢/Rd, it's still a savings of $30/100 rounds.

How many rounds do you shoot?

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's not what you were wanting, but I just picked one up for dipping a toe into progressive presses. It comes with everything needed to start loading 9mm for pretty cheap. Then to change caliber you just need dies and shell plate.
Lee pro 4000

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know, that ammo is very close to $1/Rd.

Loading that-
25 grains of some powder at $40/lb is about 14¢.
Add a dime for a primer, we're at 24¢.

How much is a 77 grain bullet? 25 cents again?

We're still under 50¢/rd. That's a savings of $50/100 rounds.

Even if I'm off by 20¢/Rd, it's still a savings of $30/100 rounds.

How many rounds do you shoot?
When the primers go to a higher dollar cartridge, it really matters. Some of the 77gr is sitting just north of $.80, and sweat equity ain't free as much as people want to say it is.
Like I said, I don't think it would be worth my time to load it. Might be worth your time or somebody else's but probably not mine. Maybe if it was $1.20 per rd and up, then I might.
Just like with the high volume "cheap" ammo, I'd deplete my primer and powder supply for virtually no return to me. In a few weeks I'd be out of my reloaded ammo and then be here on OSA Jones-ing for primers like Chris Rock asking how much for one rib, and then be back to just buying some from Midway or something anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom