which 30 caliber bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas on reducing the number of different bullets I use to reload for my 30 caliber rifles.

deer hunting, coyote hunting and targets.

300 mag, 308, 30 06. (more 308 than anything else.)

I like sierra matchings for their performance and their price.

I know it means compromise, but I'm just curious as to what compromises work for you.

Thanks

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you like the SMK's you might take a look at the A-Max bullets, I don't shoot them from my 308 I found a load with the SMK's and well I don't want to dick with it. I do shoot the A-Max from my 284 Win and love them! if you want stuff dead it's a hell of a bullet but figure a good 12" circle around where the bullet hits is going to be bad! hit a yote with one and well no need to go pick it up.

Another good bullet I have shot before was the Sierra 165gr Gameking bullet, I can use the same powder charge as my 168gr loading and it will normally be with-in 1/2" of the SMK's until you get over 400 yards then it's still close but they tend to open up a touch in the groups, heck of a game bullet though without the amount of damage as the SMK's or A-Max and most of the time they will punch right thru a yote unless you conect with a bone then all bets are off. Hope I helped a little! Later,

Kirk

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read up on Burger Bullets... They have been outstanding for me.

Was doing just that. A person could go back and forth on the 168 grain hunting and target bullets as an option.

Cost is the main compromise on that. I like them 500 bullet boxes from sierra.

I have loaded several of the bergers with very good results.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For distance out to 400 yds., I really like the Sierra 165 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King bullet...

I shoot this same Sierra bullet in the following guns:

Super 14" Contender in 308X444 Improved...

H&R in 308X444 Improved...

Custom bolt action rifle in 300 Jr...

300 Winchester / 300 H&H / 300 Weatherby...

I have found this same Sierra bullet to work exceptionally well on coyote, deer, hog, bear and elk. Accuracy has always been superb in my rifles and handguns...

If your shooting distances are going to be 400 yds. and less, you'll be hard pressed to find a better performing bullet. If on the other hand, you are going to be shooting at 600+ yds., bullets like the Sierra's Match King, Berger VLD and Hornady A-MAX will be a better choice because of their higher ballistic coeffecient....

D&T

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For distance out to 400 yds., I really like the Sierra 165 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King bullet...

This will be a hard bullet to beat for your "do all" requirements.

+1 for the Sierra and also look at the Nosler 165gn Ballistic tip. Both are excellent options and wont break the bank. I shoot both, with with results that keep me happy, and I am a little A.Retentive.

Just my :twocents:

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a box of 500 of the 155 gr Sierra Palma MK. Reloaded a few this evening to see what charge they need. The new palma's are longer than the older 155. Got pressure signs way before max load. But shot a few at about 1/2 grain below the lowest charge showing pressure signs. Got some good groups from them right at dark.

That should be a fairly decent 1000 yard bullet. I would not shoot them at a deer, but I wonder if it would be a pelt saver on a coyote or would it be a pelt destroyer?

I am leaning towards 155 for targets, coyotes, Pdogs and then 165/168's for deer/elk hunting. I like the idea of really getting accustomed to a specific trajectory/wind drift, but there is only so much you can do.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot Hornady cheaper than Sierra . Did I mention I 've got a son at OSU my fun money becomes his fun money real quick .

I used to hunt w/ Nosler 150gr. B.T.s

I order from Powder valley and pick up at the Wanamaker gun show.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Hornady 155 gr. A-MAX makes for an excellent long range bullet for anything from varmints to deer....

D&T

+1, but if you want somthing with a little more weight retention, try the hornady SST, I like the 150 gr. but have also had good luck with the 165gr. At less than $25/100 you really cant go wrong

Latest posts

Top Bottom