which 30 caliber bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kirk,

you sound like you "shoot deer" like what I've been doing for the past 15+ years...

Counting myself, there are 7 of us that shoot deer (legally and during season) from 600 to 1,200 yds. and anything inside of 600 yds., we do not shoot, regardless of size...

Unethetical? I hardly think so. I trained these guys how to shoot and with the proper equipment and skills, as long as we pick our shots, it's as easy for us to shoot a deer at 600+ yds. as it is for some to shoot one at 50 yds....

I sent Ron Reiber at Hornady pictures of deer we killed out to 1,000+ yds. with the then new Hornady A-MAX bullets and he said "the Hornady A-MAX bullets were quickly becoming some of the BEST long range bullets for game - even though that was not their intended design and purpose"...

I have used the following bullets for deer at long range with excellent results:

6mm 105 gr. A-MAX...

6.5 120 gr. A-MAX...

6.5 - 140 gr. A-MAX...

7mm - 162 gr. A-MAX...

308 - 155 gr. A-MAX...

308 - 168 gr. A-MAX...

In most all instances, entrance hole was the size of a #2 pencil with the exit hole between a golf ball and tennis ball in size....

D&T

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D&T, I'm not new to the long range thing but will admit I'm out of practice! been doing more only been hunting deer at range for about the last 3 years and I'll have to say I'm nowhere near your guys ranges so :bowdown:

To date I have MANY past 300 but for some reason I just can't break the 500 mark! year before last I set up where the deer were crossing it ranged 500 to a corner post thinking alright I'm doin' it this year! what did the deer do but jump the fence and come on our side :scream: but I got 2 one at 497 and the other was 493 with the 308 and 168SMK's both bang flops!

Last year the one time I got out West took a doe with the 243 she was 473, no wind and put a 107 SMK into her and she was on the ground before I could get her back in the scope.

The 284 is pretty new to the herd and I'm not that confident in her yet to be taking those shots just yet but last year helped a guy with dedregation permits on his place and let's just say I found out quick that the 162 A-Max is an EVIL bullet! not a good bullet to make neck shots with I can promise you! not a pretty thing.

I normally don't speak up on this board about things but ya know sometimes it doesn't hurt! my only fear is someone that really has no clue about what they are doing takes something I said and makes a bad decision to take a shot they shouldn't, maybe I should just tell people to use Remington Core-Loc bullets and not to shoot anything over 75 yards. Later,

Kirk

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what's the reasoning behind using A-Max vs SST, IB or GMX? BC, SD and price are all ballpark the same - the only difference what the bullet does when it "hits".

I've used IB and SST - punches tennis ball all the way through. Quick web search on A-max performance: heart shot = separated jacket in the gut, lead all over the back strap ....

I don't want to start a pissing match either - I just want to know the "reasoning".

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unethetical? I hardly think so. I trained these guys how to shoot and with the proper equipment and skills, as long as we pick our shots, it's as easy for us to shoot a deer at 600+ yds. as it is for some to shoot one at 50 yds....

Again don't want to start a pissing match; but seems that every long range hunting story comes with "clean miss" somewhere; and a lot of hurt deer is written off to "I must've missed it all together", while the animal with blown out kidneys dies 2 days later - at 600+ if the bullet didn't exit you'll never know you hit it - no blood trail; and let's be real at that distance if the animal didn't flop right there - you won't even bother to go look - surely ain't draggin' that 15lb rig for half a mile to see nothing in middle of nowhere. Oh, if you don't have "clean miss" story to tell - you haven't been hunting long enough.

Ok, so maybe this whole post is a bit harsh, but saying "anything inside of 600 yds., we do not shoot, regardless of size..." is rather arrogant... record setting guns barely hold deer sized groups at these distances (benchrest, known distance, known wind, stationary target).

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya know fella's it's not arrogant to do something someone else can't! just because you don't think it right or think it can be done is no good reason to down someone else that can perform these feats.

I might pi$$ someone off but if you can't do it or think it's impossible butt out of the conversation plain and simple!

It ain't braggin' if you can do it! go ahead and flame if you want I really don't care at this point, someone ask for suggestions and when they get them on here there has always got to be someone pull off some smart ass remarks! why? is it constructive to the conversation or does it just make you feel better? if you feel better for being a smart ass I feel sorry for you and your pathetic life! Later,

Kirk

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not supposed to talk about this but what the Hell.
Back when I was a sniper with a unit I can't name I had Osama all lined-up.
Problem was the lazer said he was only four hundred yards away.
Just couldn't take the shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom