Which is more persuasive to you: 20% Off or $20 Off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"20% Off" or "$20 Off"

• 20% Off

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • $20 Off

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As a dumb easily tricked consumer, i say give me your best price. 20% or $20 off, if i buy something and later find out you played me for dumb, i wont forget it.

Then again theyre are alot of varibles.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. If I understand the riddle and the final cost is "$100" then the actual retail price would have to be $125 for 20% off to equal the $100 and so that is a better bargin by $5. What did I win?

Nothing, actually, lol. The original retail price I'm talking about is $100 even. So, while it's true that taking $20 off and giving a 20% discount are exactly the same amount and end up at the exact same number ($80, assuming no other cost variables), there has to be one that the majority of the general public would subconsciously see as a better deal at first glance, even though if they thought about it for two seconds they'd know it's exactly the same number. And by the looks of it people prefer a % to a $.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hmm, $20 off an item 'after' Taxes is not the same as 20% the total ....... Just a thought ..... Gotta' watch those coupon discounts too .....

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
LOL! People, I know the OP knew they were the same. I was making the point that my mind equates them as the same faster than any marketing hype sets in.

Like selling a $100 item for $99.99... it's not $100! WooHoo!

I'm an engineer, so the joke about an optimist says glass half full, pessimist says half empty... but an engineer says the glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

Take another situation:

Would you be more enticed by an item sold marked as:

$80

Sale! 20% off $100

Sale! 40% off $133.50

okmic1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assume you're trying to be convinced into buying a service that costs $100 and I'm giving you a discount. Which would be a more persuasive way of illustrating the discount:

"20% Off" or "$20 Off"?
If you're talking about sales psychology then $20 tends to grab people quicker. Obviously it's the exact same thing as 20% off of a $100 item, but $20 is a real number that the average consumer will easily identify with.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the idea of giving something "FREE" with purchase...

As an example: If I were looking at buying a Knife that was $100 I would be much more motivated to buy if it said something like "Buy before July 1st and receive a free sheath". If I saw that the same knife was 20% or $20 off I would probably just keep looking thinking that the product could simply be bought for less somewhere else...

In that scenario, the seller could do a bulk order on sheaths that are probably worth $25 but buy them for $15 in bulk. Both seller and buyer do better than the 20 off thing...

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom