Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Citizen Eco I got from Coolhandluke.
Man, I wanted that watch when it was listed. Still do, to be honest. 😂

Unless the ol' lady and I go out for something after work, I don't wear a watch very often these days. Working from home has made me a bit slovenly in the fashion world (as I sit here in a tshirt and sweat pants, like I have pretty much every winter work day for the last 10 years). But, when we do go out, it's currently one of these 4 watches that goes with me. I need to get a bigger watch box (and my wife just bought me that one for Christmas) because I'm always wanting to buy a new watch. (I apologize for the sloppy display. My slovenliness seems to be spreading)

20230109_103429.jpg

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks buddy, I like it a lot. It's as close to a Submariner that I'll ever get.

The only automatic watches I have are antiques or my dad's old Hamilton watches and a handful of older pocket watches.

My Tag WAZ1110 is quartz and so is my Swiss Maverick Chronograph. I've got some older Seiko automatics, but they aren't anything special just old watches that you have to wind. My best watches are quartz.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid to post a picture of mine, what with all the watch snobbery up in here. But I'm going to anyway, because this brand comes with a lot of hatred, scrutiny, animosity and plain ol' "humph" and cynicism from all the watch aficionados.

And yet, this little feller has been my constant companion for about 2 years now. It's swam the gulf of Mexico, Sea World's water park and several other pools and bodies of water and has never missed a beat nor given me an ounce of grief. I'm talking about Invicta. And while it's no Rolex, it's a nice homage IMHO. Even if the watch snobs scoff at the very name.

Pro Diver series, quartz, model 23384, Pepsi bezel, screw down crown, 43mm.

View attachment 337191
This is just my personal opinion and experience with Invicta watches.

Every cruise or mall boutique you see, is full of them. 3 billon different models and the pricing is so wonky. Always a sale thousands off for 59.99 or something along those lines. I seen one on the last Disney Cruise we took marked at 1200 and change. I showed pricing of the watch to the lady working where it could be had at 150ish state side. She offered to mark it down to 160 tax free.

That doesn't instill confidence in a product. You have to ask yourself, what's wrong with this watch that you just took over a 1000 bucks off the top?

Like I said, the marketing just makes you question the product. Invicta isn't alone in this either. I've seen plenty of other companies do the same. There is a white dial one on Amazon I have saved in my wish list that is 39.99 one week and 159.99 the next. Not sure why the huge price flux?

Quality wise, no complaints on my end. I put them somewhere around or below Orient. I have two Orient's watches that are absolutely amazing watches.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, Invictas prices are all over the place and they've got a bazillion different models and styles. But I liked the look, size and style of this one and it was only 50 bucks.

As for the auto vs. quartz debate? I owned an automatic for a little while (Seiko) but I usually don't wear a watch on the weekends, unless I'm going out or something, and by the time Monday rolls around, the watch has sat on my dresser, untouched, for well over 48 hours and died. So then, I gotta reset the time and get it going again. Just a pain in the ass.

Watches are gorgeous, no doubt, but they are more utilitarian tools to me than heirlooms .

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The idea of leaving the house without a watch on my wrist is incomprehensible to me. I’d probably forget to breath first. My wife hates it, but I would have a mono-stylistic wardrobe if I could. Same things in the same pockets every day if I could. Manifestation of the mindless ritual.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You got an actual link to that watch?

When did all the BS start with the Rolex AD's?

I looked at a new Submariner in 14 or 15. I think it was $13,500, and I could have laid down the plastic and walked out with it. My future ex threw a fit when I told her I was going to buy one, so I didn't.

You can cover up a $2-3,000 firearm. You can't hide a $13,000 watch. I just decided for the sake of what I was trying to hold together at the time it was best if I chose to not buy the watch. I chose poorly.

The "BS" at AD is that the demand is WAY higher than supply. They choose to sell to people that buy from them as customers as the buyer gets instant equity. I think it makes sense as a business owner. If AD were to charge over MSRP, Rolex pulls their stock and blacklists them. So the list to buy a Rolex at MSRP is years long - would you sell to random strangers that want on the list or would you sell to a guy that also buys other product from you?

As far as looking at a Sub 7+ years ago, the only possible watch you would have seen at $13.5K may have been a 2 tone. Those are on the lowest of the spectrum of Submariners... If it was a SS date which is most guys "classic" Sub, you were already getting hit with premium with your ability to "lay down the plastic".

Exotic Sub > PM Submariner > SS Submariner Date > 2 tone > Non Date.

I've owned multiples and each in the above list with exception of an exotic version.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The "BS" at AD is that the demand is WAY higher than supply. They choose to sell to people that buy from them as customers as the buyer gets instant equity. I think it makes sense as a business owner. If AD were to charge over MSRP, Rolex pulls their stock and blacklists them. So the list to buy a Rolex at MSRP is years long - would you sell to random strangers that want on the list or would you sell to a guy that also buys other product from you?

As far as looking at a Sub 7+ years ago, the only possible watch you would have seen at $13.5K may have been a 2 tone. Those are on the lowest of the spectrum of Submariners... If it was a SS date which is most guys "classic" Sub, you were already getting hit with premium with your ability to "lay down the plastic".

Exotic Sub > PM Submariner > SS Submariner Date > 2 tone > Non Date.

I've owned multiples and each in the above list with exception of an exotic version.
I'd say that a Deepsea would've been $12.5K then and many mistake it for a big Sub. Not $13.5K at an AD though...they'd lose their Rolex authorization.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid to post a picture of mine, what with all the watch snobbery up in here. But I'm going to anyway, because this brand comes with a lot of hatred, scrutiny, animosity and plain ol' "humph" and cynicism from all the watch aficionados.

And yet, this little feller has been my constant companion for about 2 years now. It's swam the gulf of Mexico, Sea World's water park and several other pools and bodies of water and has never missed a beat nor given me an ounce of grief. I'm talking about Invicta. And while it's no Rolex, it's a nice homage IMHO. Even if the watch snobs scoff at the very name.

Pro Diver series, quartz, model 23384, Pepsi bezel, screw down crown, 43mm.

View attachment 337191
I have 3 Invicta watches I EDC. They are nice looking , do not look small on my wrist and when I am nocking about at the job and whack the crap out of one I just smile and keep on task.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, Invictas prices are all over the place and they've got a bazillion different models and styles. But I liked the look, size and style of this one and it was only 50 bucks.

As for the auto vs. quartz debate? I owned an automatic for a little while (Seiko) but I usually don't wear a watch on the weekends, unless I'm going out or something, and by the time Monday rolls around, the watch has sat on my dresser, untouched, for well over 48 hours and died. So then, I gotta reset the time and get it going again. Just a pain in the ass.

Watches are gorgeous, no doubt, but they are more utilitarian tools to me than heirlooms .

I'm with ya on them dying. I have a few Hamilton's with 80 hour power reserves that kick that problem, but for the guy who wears a watch as a tool only, quartz is the ticket. I've been in a hurry before and just grabbed a quartz because I didn't have time to set one lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom