Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmalone1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting Squale trivia, back in the 1950's they made watch cases for.... Rolex!
Yes that's one of the reasons I wanted one! I believe they made cases for Blancpain as well. They have a pretty cool history and super high quality watch, but with a little more manageable price range than some. Plus I figured if a watch is solid enough to get a 500m rating, then maybe I won't be able to break it! Unfortunately that wasnt the case with the bracelet.

securityinfo

Marksman
Reaction score
Wore this for quite a while until the stem broke. Can't find anyone to fit one for me :-( . Pretty interesting story behind this watch as I am lead to believe.
IMG-0187.jpg
IMG-0189.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really wearing this today, love the watch, hate the small size, also it would be a shame to ding or scratch it:
20230214_090848.jpg

Lord Elgin Men's Dress Gold Watch
Mechanical Movement
Curved Crystal
Circa 1930 - 1950's

Was my Grandfathers preserved in a safe deposit box and later my dad's gun safe.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's hear the story. I doubt that I've seen another North Korean manufactured watch before.

@thor447 any chance this has a Seagull based movement?
I wouldn't have the first clue with it coming out of N.K. I highly doubt they made the movement themselves, so it's most likely Chinese. Seagull is as good a guess as any.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't have the first clue with it coming out of N.K. I highly doubt they made the movement themselves, so it's most likely Chinese. Seagull is as good a guess as any.
For those that may not know, the Seagull Chronograph movement is pretty good. Seagull bought the machining from an ETA Swiss Factory and it is still used. Some of the chinese Rolex knockoffs are really good as well, cloned the Rolex movements.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The movement says the same thing on it as the front except it added 17 Jewels.
MoRanBong - Manufacture
ChoSun Pyong Yang - Pyong Yang is the capital of NK; NK likes to call themselves ChoSun - they fancy themselves as the inheritors of the Chosun Dynasty.
ShipChil (17) Suk (jewel)

Wouldn't be surprised if they copied a Chinese movement. I did a search and it seems these watches are all over the place for pretty cheap.

EDIT: The Long Hair Dictionary says they probably didn't make the movement, that somebody else probably did.

Last edited:

securityinfo

Marksman
Reaction score
The movement says the same thing on it as the front except it added 17 Jewels.
MoRanBong - Manufacture
ChoSun Pyong Yang - Pyong Yang is the capital of NK; NK likes to call themselves ChoSun - they fancy themselves as the inheritors of the Chosun Dynasty.
ShipChil (17) Suk (jewel)

Wouldn't be surprised if they copied a Chinese movement. I did a search and it seems these watches are all over the place for pretty cheap.

EDIT: The Long Hair Dictionary says they probably didn't make the movement, that somebody else probably did.

I would love to find another just to use as a donor. My searches have been unable to turn one up at a reasonable price. Please share!

Latest posts

Top Bottom