Who is responsible for the power outage damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, the "dead" part of the tree isn't the part on the lines. Full foliage on the lines.
I see that, but if there is rot in the trunk, the tree needs to be removed.

I think there is some negligence here.

Not that I want or will pursue doing anything about it. It's more of a discussion about it and to vent some frustration.

But there are a ton of people that may want to. If the idea got on social media, look out.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I see that, but if there is rot in the trunk, the tree needs to be removed.

I think there is some negligence here.

Not that I want or will pursue doing anything about it. It's more of a discussion about it and to vent some frustration.

But there are a ton of people that may want to. If the idea got on social media, look out.
I would say that 99% of folks who would have that tree on their property would see green leaves, and not want to pay $1k to have it removed.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Midtown here, pretty obvious those that keep up with their tree maintenance, and those that don’t. We had twigs and small(1”) branches off of our old oaks and birch trees. Those that let them go lost whole trees, or massive branches. AEP PSO does have crews through here regularly trimming trees away from the lines.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a silverleaf maple. One of the worst trees for falling if you sneeze on them.
He's not liable because it's not a half dead tree, it's a living green tree. Even if it was dead I doubt he'd be held liable.
Think about it this way - would you rather wait to get your electric fixed until an old man living check to check can afford to pay to have the pole fixed, or would you rather let the power company - that budgets for tree trimming and repair - fix it immediately?
Leave the guy alone. And never suffer a silverleaf maple to grow.

Edit: Mr.Ed might be right. It might be a cottonwood. Either way the owner's not liable.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe power company should bury their lines?

The power company is responsible for maintaining their ROW, right? Expecting the tree owner to have determined that the tree was decaying enough that it could fall on a power line if a 100 mph wind from X direction occurred, seems like a bit of a stretch. I'll bet the power company likes the idea though.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The whole concept of being responsible for your trees is a very slippery slope. At what point do you say an owner is being irresponsible? When the tree is 10% dead? 25%? 50%? What if there’s no visible signs of issues? Or the signs are visible only if you take X amount of effort to detect them? What would X be? And so on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom