Who is responsible for the power outage damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the frustration that’s being expressed in this thread, but trying to assign blame and liability to your neighbors is a big part of what’s wrong with this country.
Yes, someone could start a tar and feather campaign on social media, but that would be a chickensh*t thing to do.
Here in east TX, a neighbor or passerby would’ve already cut the tree off the line, but evidently, y’all don’t do that sort of thing up there. :anyone:
I threatened to cut it, but my wife talked some sense into me.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know brother. As close as that is to the power line if you dropped it and it did take out the line, you would then be 100% liable and get a bill for the repairs.
I’ve cut one similar on my property years ago. I used the winch on my truck to help pull it, but anything could have happened.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve cut one similar on my property years ago. I used the winch on my truck to help pull it, but anything could have happened.
I’ve cut a bunch of trees down and used my tractor bucket to push them the direction I want them to go, but not everyone has a truck with winch or a tractor (big enough for the job). I think it’s fair to say the folks without the means to**safely**cut that tree far outnumber the ones that do especially in a metropolitan area.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just spent a small fortune on tree maintenance myself. I like having trees, I don't need them damaging my home or neighbors homes. Besides, the maintenance was much cheaper than my deductible. Glad I had it done after the storms we have had in May and June, could have cost me a lot more.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or if your are like me, the cost of gas to run my chainsaw.

Everybody ain’t like you.

I get your frustration, cause I’ve been out of juice for 10+ days a couple of times. The big difference here is, I didn’t have a generator. You’ve got power. Quit yer bitchin.

You need to step back and have a look from a distance as to what your complaining and placing blame in this situation makes you look like, cause it ain’t good optics. It kinda makes you look like something that I’d never wanna be called. Jes’ sayin’.

I hope it all shakes out quick for you and the neighbors. When it’s all over maybe go meet the landowner and offer up you and your chain saw to prevent any future occurrences.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most power companies that i have had dealings with is only require to keep trees trimmed 10 ft either side of the lines but in most cases if you are nice and ask they will cut a tree back farther and in most cases take it completely out if it is in danger of hitting their lines, that or take the line down long enough for you to get the tree on the ground but the main thing is ask nicely and wait for them to have time to get it done. I know there are some companies that wont work with property owners but that is the exception in alot of cases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom