Who to reblue a S&W 27

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That is a very nice gun!!

I have a set of Eagle Classic grips on my N frame, they look like original S&W Target grips, except for the color, which is a darker burgundy color than the red/brown of the Smith grips.

ETA: Sumo, if you make it to the swap meet, I'll bring mine, and you can swap the grips and see if you like the look. I picked these up at the big Tulsa show for $65.

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_IMG_2601_Small.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sumo,

If you have decent mechanical abilities, can follow directions and are patient you can do your own trigger job. It's not that hard to do one with the Jerry Miculek video. I did one on a Mod. 66 and I'm quite pleased with it. And I've got several more to do when I get the time, as I'm going to do all my Smiths. It's not hard if you take your time and don't try to do too much.

And FWIW I would go back with a factory power main spring unless you handload using Federal primers or shoot only Federal ammunition. The aftermarket reduced power springs will most definitely lower the pull weight but may not fire primers all the time. The rebound slide spring you can drop weight on and it will lighten your DA pull some. I use 14lb'ers there. The rest is just polishing and smoothing and a couple of little tricks that are pretty easy.

But the best trigger job you can do is to dry fire it about 6000 times. Just don't cycle the DA too fast or you'll peen the cylinder notches, those N frames are bad about that. Do it slowly and you can do it till the cows come home without bothering them a bit.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The gun looks good to me. If it were mine I would cold blue the worn areas with Formula 44-40 from Brownells then keep a light coat of oil on the gun. 44-40 is amazing, clean the area with alcohol, wipe it on, wipe if off and no more shiny spots. It will eventually wear off with normal cleaning but is easy to reapply.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I have been thinking. I have been thinking of a perfect woods gun/hunting back-up. I love the .45 Colt cartridge and tried the Ruger but I did not like the heavy loads in them. I have had the 10mm before and liked it but it is a hanloaders cartridge in my opinion. 41 mag I tried in a S&W N frame and I liked it but the price of ammo and availabiluty shot that out of the sky. So basically I could do a Glock 20 SF, get an upper for my 21 SF, 0r go a Delta for it. That is a lot of money that I could put towards my grips, trigger/action job, and bullets primers and brass for the .357 mag. I am not convinced the .357 mag is the best round in OK anyway with the exception of a couger or black bear, ok even Bigfoot LOL.

What is your thoughts, would you do a little sprucing on this 27 and use it for what it was intended for, or go another route? I don't plan on getting rid of it as I got it from my dad for about 250 bucks......that is all whe would take from me on it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Absolutely. I'd like to do an action job on my S&W 22-4 pictured above. And all my other guns. It just makes it a lot more fun to shoot, not to mention easier to shoot better. Grips are well worth it if you can get some that look and feel the way you want them to.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sumo if you handload that .357 will make a most excellent woods/trail gun. If you want a stout load for deer/bear/pig go with some heavy cast SWC lead 180 to 200 grain bullets in a .357 mag case. Or if you want to lighten it up a bit you could always use the fabled old Skeeter Skelton .38 load. A Lyman 358156GC bullet seated in the 2nd crimp groove with 13.5 grains of 2400 in a .38 special case. With just 2 loads you could take care of anything you'll see in Oklahoma. And with some .38 shotshells you can add snakes to the list. It's just hard to beat a .357 in an N frame Smith. :twocents:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I appreciate it guys. I think I will just hold off on the refinish. The wear is not really that bad, a little muzzle and a light scratch on the ejector rod housing area. I have a set of Ahrends on it now but want something a little more classy and authentic looking. I figure the trigger job and spring replacement is worth it though. I wonder who would be good for that? I know I don't want to wait forever for it like Grant Cunningham or Dave Berryhill. El Paso will be looked at hard too. If I leave it original I will tend to actually carry it out in the field too. Hard to beat a .357 mag revolver with a 5" brl--especially htis one since it is so accurate with .38 spcl and .357 mag. Here is a couple pics.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

WOW, She's great! Man all she needs is a Marlin 1894C rifle to make a prefect match, and some classic leather! I'm jealous!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom