Who wants to make some money? I need a car picked up...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some quick math on this to help outline the profitability of the offer. Btw if I wasn't working I would do it just for the roadtrip, that's after you signed a contract releasing me of any liability from damage I may do to the vehicle, oh and you provide a $500k liability policy to cover uninsured or underinsured motorist in case I am involved in an accident.

(425)
(100)
(82) fuel (50 mpg @ 3.90 per gallon.1048 miles.)
(20) fast food
$627 total

128 remaining to pay driver.
Or 7.68 per hour to drive 16.683 hours straight through.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'd give to not have a job so I could run this Cannonball!

This made me LOL!

Wait, so how much are you asking for your Sequoia????

I am not selling the Sequoia. I'm going to keep it for winter transportation :)

I did some quick math on this to help outline the profitability of the offer. Btw if I wasn't working I would do it just for the roadtrip, that's after you signed a contract releasing me of any liability from damage I may do to the vehicle, oh and you provide a $500k liability policy to cover uninsured or underinsured motorist in case I am involved in an accident.

(425)
(100)
(20) fast food
$627 total

Well, I don't know where to start on this but if you're driving straight through then you wouldn't be spending $100 on a hotel room ;) Would be $14.25/hour approximately... Also, I would pay for the diesel etc... Regardless, thank you for the math Mr. Newton ;)

Jonny

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

(425)
(100)
(20) fast food
$627 total

You're just talking about the drive... not about the time to fly out and spend in the hotel. It's a 2-to 3-day trip all the way around, not just a 16-hour job. Plus taxi from the airport to the dealer where the car resides, etc. You make valid points, as well, about insurance coverage. You need to make sure you're protected in any case, because the person you are flying out is essentially in your employ for the time being which makes you potentially liable for anything they do with the car.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[&5QUOTE=dx3;1638826]This made me LOL!

I am not selling the Sequoia. I'm going to keep it for winter transportation :)

Well, I don't know where to start on this but if you're driving straight through then you wouldn't be spending $100 on a hotel room ;) Would be $14.25/hour approximately... Also, I would pay for the diesel etc... Regardless, thank you for the math Mr. Newton ;)

Jonny[/QUOTE]

Actually if You take out the 100 for hotel you would bump up to 13.68 per hour. If you add 8 hours sleep at the hotel your pay rate would drop to 5.19 per hour. I am just showing the reality of your offer. That doesn't include flight time, airport parking costs in tulsa, travel cost from the airport t the car, etc.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're just talking about the drive... not about the time to fly out and spend in the hotel. It's a 2-to 3-day trip all the way around, not just a 16-hour job. Plus taxi from the airport to the dealer where the car resides, etc. You make valid points, as well, about insurance coverage. You need to make sure you're protected in any case, because the person you are flying out is essentially in your employ for the time being which makes you potentially liable for anything they do with the car.

Not if he hires them as an independent contractor ...

I'm kinda tempted to do this ... wonder if I could talk GC (who spends 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, sitting in a car) into a roadtrip ... lol

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could save some time and weed out the insane offers by throwing out there what you expect to pay...doesn't seem like you have a lot of wiggle room.

Do you really want someone slogging through a 16 hour drive straight through, alone, with a car you just bought? If not then it's going to cost...

Is the car tagged with a temp tag and insured?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
because the person you are flying out is essentially in your employ for the time being which makes you potentially liable for anything they do with the car.

Nope.

As long as you don't tell them how they have to drive the car and what route they have to take back, they are an independent contractor providing a point-to-point car delivery service.

This job can easily be completed in 30 hours including the flight. Sleep on the flights on the way up there... flight time from TUL to ERI is 7-8.5 hours depending on how many connections you have to make. That leaves 22 hours or so for the drive back. I'll need one stop for fast food in Indianapolis, and a stop in St Louis for a restroom. That leaves about 5 hours of wiggle room to squeeze in a parking lot nap (if needed... I've been known to function daily on ~4 hours of sleep anyway) and any traffic issues along the way.

I'd also assume all incidental costs incurred along the way (tolls, taxi) are covered, simply because that's what I would do if I were to hire someone to pick up a car.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sent a PM, with what I thought was reasonable. To whoever does it, make sure you are including all costs in your assessment of what would be required. As has already been pointed out there are costs that were not addressed in the OP like transportation to the dealer from the airport, tolls when you hit the OK line, etc.

Make sure that you have all your bases covered or in the end you'll hardly be making any money at all for your services.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sent a PM, with what I thought was reasonable. To whoever does it, make sure you are including all costs in your assessment of what would be required. As has already been pointed out there are costs that were not addressed in the OP like transportation to the dealer from the airport, tolls when you hit the OK line, etc.

Make sure that you have all your bases covered or in the end you'll hardly be making any money at all for your services.

That's why you keep receipts of all expenses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom