Who's The Smallest Government Spender Since Ike? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, Pimp C hasn't spent a whole lot in the last four and half years...

I take it back. Pimp C for Republican candidate!

I just noticed that the fat guy's belly button in the splash screen of the youtube I posted looks just like Munch's "The Scream".

[Broken External Image]

Welp, thought I'd drop in and get this thread back on track for yous guys. I gotta go do things for a while, but I trust I've set the course well enough that you can follow it without me.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm confused. The numbers you quote (without SS and Medicare) still show a large jump in spending during the last 3-4 years. If the numbers with and without SS and medicare included were graphed, their curves would be virtually identical (albeit with different numbers).

So, are you arguing that the current administration has or has not dramatically increased spending?
What are you talking about?

2012 $2396B
2011 $2342B
2010 $2255B

2009 $2358B
2008 $1932B
2007 $1725B
2006 $1739B
2005 $1615B
2004 $1493B
2003 $1400B
2002 $1283B
2001 $1171B

Spending has hardly gone up at all since 2009. There's a big jump from 2007 to 2008 because we entered a recession and there's another big jump from 2008 to 2009 because the recession deepened.
Spending and deficits always go up during recessions. Always have and always will.

I understand that SS and Medicare are considered sacred cows but they are insolvent programs. It is disingenuous to talk of spending but exclude the two largest areas of spending.
But those SS and Medicare expenditures are not Obama's spending are they? Not anymore than they were Bush's spending.
Where Bush broke the bank was 2 rounds of tax cuts that went mostly to the rich and two wars that were unpaid for.

Last edited:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes said:
But those SS and Medicare expenditures are not Obama's spending are they? Not anymore than they were Bush's spending.
Where Bush broke the bank was 2 rounds of tax cuts that went mostly to the rich and two wars that were unpaid for.

They are Obamas spending as much as Ws spending. Neither one had the cajones to tackle SS or Medicare. In fact, W added to the problem with the Rx drug benefit. Then Obama has come over the top with ACA, whose spending has not yet been realized but is sure to exceed the already high estimates. So they are more than culpable for SS and Medicare.

You know what's weird? In the heart of the tax cut years, the revenues to govt were at an all time high. Had W simply cut spending during those years, we would be in a better spot in relation to the national debt. Those tax cuts didn't cost, they paid.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are Obamas spending as much as Ws spending. Neither one had the cajones to tackle SS or Medicare. In fact, W added to the problem with the Rx drug benefit. Then Obama has come over the top with ACA, whose spending has not yet been realized but is sure to exceed the already high estimates. So they are more than culpable for SS and Medicare.

You know what's weird? In the heart of the tax cut years, the revenues to govt were at an all time high. Had W simply cut spending during those years, we would be in a better spot in relation to the national debt. Those tax cuts didn't cost, they paid.
It's true that the Medicare part D expansion that was passed in 2003 and went into effect in 2006 adds about 60 Billion dollars in spending and debt each year.
It's also true that W floated the idea of making changes to SS right after his 2004 re-election but it went nowhere in congress.
I don't consider SS and medicare spending as belonging to any president though because no president has the authority to significantly cut spending on either.
That is the role of congress.

We had a credit driven bubble in 2004-2007 and boy those were good times. :spaghetti:
Too bad the credit ran out, the party ended, and now the nation has a hangover. :smash:

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you talking about?

2012 $2396B
2011 $2342B
2010 $2255B
2009 $2358B
2008 $1932B
2007 $1725B
2006 $1739B
2005 $1615B
2004 $1493B
2003 $1400B
2002 $1283B
2001 $1171B

Spending has hardly gone up at all since 2009. There's a big jump from 2007 to 2008 because we entered a recession and there's another big jump from 2008 to 2009 because the recession deepened.
Spending and deficits always go up during recessions. Always have and always will.
I'm not questioning why, nor am I questioning whether other presidents have precided over large jumps in spending (for whatever reason)
However you did answer my question (and you gave your justification for it), spending has increased during BHO's tenure, a "big jump" when he first took office. And yes, since then spending has leveled off, at that higher level. So, by your numbers, Obama is spending at a much higher level than any other president, with or without SS and medicare.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Much of which originated in a Heritage Foundation-drafted bill in the early '90's.

So a public option was an idea from the HF?

Look I don't give two craps about an R or a D. They are just different sides to the same coin. They are both driving this bus off a cliff and this debate about who's budget is who's is retarded. They are all in cahoots together in the game of getting re-elected and we are all going to pay for it.

Am I the only one that thinks that the debt to GDP is a big deal? The sheer fact that it hasn't happened since WWII which was a massive undertaking, and how there is no end in sight for the current spending. This will end and it will be ugly when it goes down. Regardless of who is in charge when the bill comes due.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom