Who's Thinking of Starting the Garden Early This Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started a garden three years ago and had a great year for beginners luck. Two years ago, the floods ran right through the middle of it and took it out. Last year, the heat won.

This year, I am trying a hybrid method of square foot gardening and raised bed gardening. I am keeping track of what I spend and what I am doing (as well as pictures) on a blog which is linked below. This way, other beginners can see if what I am doing works or not. I like to experiment and see what works and what doesn't. Btw, start at the bottom and work up.

Also, if you have ideas or criticism, I would love to hear it. I am new to blogging and not sure quite how it works. I think if you sign up and join my blog, whenever I post new pics and update, it notifies you, but I'm not sure. I also have other stuff on there about composting and beer making.

http://http://www.mikesgardenattempt.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to hold on for mid-March. Heard one of the weather guys talking about computer models showing another possible winter storm in two weeks. You know how that goes. At any rate, I'll start the broccoli about the same time as CHenry.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't plant anything outside until after Easter and I've been burned a couple times still.
This is why I said it's be planted in a container, so I could drag it in the garage to protect it.

Alan Frizzell

Marksman
Reaction score
Spinach is producing in my raised beds now and will produce through the winter, also snow peas. Snow peas fix nitrogen in the soil for spring plantings (natural fertilizer).
On the tomatoes I have good luck with the cherry size as they produce much better through the heat of summer than the larger varieties. Most tomatoes won't set blooms if night temps are 80 or above so if you can get them goin early and protected from the cold they'll produce well thru June. Herbs make good ornamentals in the shrub and flower beds year round and leaves room in the raised beds for veges and peppers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom