Why are Oklahoma's roads so crappy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt read the whole thread , it always seems to be some kind of CONSPRIRACY
The actual Reason is the substrate, the clay that most of OK rest on.
Yea theres parts that dont have ..as much, but its still there.
?The clay swells and contracts with the water tables, thus making it move a great deal.
The Conspricy is that no engineer will admit to it, that means They cant solve the problem
TIFWIW/WTFDIK.... -_ / ;)

So soil types change at borders. Good to know.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt read the whole thread , it always seems to be some kind of CONSPRIRACY
The actual Reason is the substrate, the clay that most of OK rest on.
Yea theres parts that dont have ..as much, but its still there.
?The clay swells and contracts with the water tables, thus making it move a great deal.
The Conspricy is that no engineer will admit to it, that means They cant solve the problem
TIFWIW/WTFDIK.... -_ / ;)

We have the same soil here in NE OK as surrounding states. Our roads suck, theirs don't. We seem to never finish road construction, they do.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People talk smack about how backwards Arkansas is, but their roads (for the most part) are FAR better than Oklahoma. Tulsa has become a damn joke, they never finish any construction. I challenge you to cross Tulsa from any angle without running into some type of construction bullcrap, and most of it has been going on for many years!

head down admiral. lmao

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As my grandma used to say, Texas has the good roads and Oklahoma has the rich politicians.

I've not driven a lot in OKC recently, but Tulsa has some of the worst roads in the state--and some of the cloverleafs on the highways/interstates are so bad that they're almost un-drivable at any speed, let alone highway speeds.

What annoys me is the crappy workmanship on some roads, particularly the section roads--there are a few I drive regularly that were in better shape before they "repaired" them. There were some potholes, but at least you could drive around them. I mean, seriously, how do you get washboard asphalt?

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what are we to do? Every Oklahoman could go march circles around the crumbling capital building and I honestly don't think we would get anything but lip service.

Its this way with other issues too. All I hear about is how the state is out of money...for EVERYTHING ......yet my state income taxes haven't fallen. My property taxes continue to climb. Sales taxes haven't changed...and I am spending more money each year with a growing family. Fuel taxes remain unchanged. WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL OF OUR TAX DOLLARS GOING? They aren't being spent on roads/bridges. They aren't being spend on education. On and on and on.....

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something else no one has mentioned....the oil boom over the last few years has drastically increased the amount of HEAVY vehicle traffic on many of our roads and bridges. Did our beloved leaders take this into account when they decided to keep taxes low on new oil rigs?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Report: States Neglect Road Repairs

The report makes no mention of the 2009 economic stimulus package, officially called the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which funneled tens of billions in one-time funds to states for transportation infrastructure...(so do we know where that money went?)

According to this study Oklahoma from 2009 through 2011 spent $500mil.(64%) of funding on road expansion/new roads and $279mil(36%) on road repairs.

http://www.governing.com/topics/tra...e/gov-report-states-neglect-road-repairs.html

The 10 most corrupt states in the U.S.

The researchers also found that for 9 out of the 10 of the most corrupt states, overall state spending was higher than in less corrupt states...

According to the report, “states with higher levels of corruption are likely to favor construction...

The paper explains that construction spending, especially on big infrastructure projects, is particularly susceptible to corruption because the quality of large, nonstandard projects are difficult for the public to gauge, while the industry is dominated by a few monopolistic firms.

http://fortune.com/2014/06/10/most-...g-grid7|responsive|dl11|sec1_lnk1_pLid=486796

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This state has some of the cheapest housing in the country. But the taxes aren't cheap, it's not free to live here. I don't know what the State does with our tax dollars, fixing the roads is definitely not priority number one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom