Why buy the new iPhone 4S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those concerned about the LTE version of an iPhone, the chip needed to do dual voice and LTE doesn't exist yet. The technology hasn't been advanced yet; the only way to get around it is to use two chips and since broadcom produces the LTE chip, it requires for the use of their snapdragon series of processors. Obviously apple isn't going to pass up the use of their A series chip (based on the ARM specs).

The timeline for the chip apple needs is for it to hit production in the 2nd quarter of 2012 which would be on par for the next refresh.

I'm not sold on LTE just yet. When the technology advances to a point where it doesn't suck all the battery life out of my phone in half a day, I'll consider it worthwhile. Until then, I see no reason for "super fast" internet on a phone.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the second reason Apple held off is the sucking of the battery effect. Would you rather have LTE + 2 hour battery or non-LTE plus 8 hours of battery...

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that may have been true back in the 90s? Modern Apple products run intel processors, AMD graphics, etc. Their computers run windows and their other products work with windows. I'm not sure how the "non-compatible" hogwash has been propagated for so long.

You've not had to transfer documents between them. That, and they don't like FAT USB drives. It takes 10x as long to transfer files from a USB drive to the iMac at our church than it does to my laptop, whether native Linux or a Windows virtual machine. Change the filesystem to HFS or ext3, and it only takes twice as long.

My 53 year old mom figured out OS X in a few days and she's the least computer literate person I've ever met in my life.

When Apple was running their "so easy" campaign, I got a lot of calls from older people in my area who had bought their first computer and had chosen to go Apple. The biggest complaint matches the big one that I have about the UI: the toolbar that's not always for the program that you're working in. I've had some of them figure out my laptop just by picking it up, and I run Openbox...

After working with Apple computers as a network technician, I don't believe that I can, in good conscience, ever buy an Apple product.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When a tech company surpasses big oil in market cap then obviously those that feel Apples products are "hard to use" are in the minority. Especially in terms of smart phones.

Hitokiri03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the minority because I am not a new apple user, but one who has never owned a windows computer. When I was in elementary school in the early 90s, we had a lovely tan box with a spiffy little rainbow apple called a Macintosh. Obviously, my family has upgraded since then. I just wish we had purchased more stock back then...

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've not had to transfer documents between them. That, and they don't like FAT USB drives. It takes 10x as long to transfer files from a USB drive to the iMac at our church than it does to my laptop, whether native Linux or a Windows virtual machine. Change the filesystem to HFS or ext3, and it only takes twice as long.

I've transfered files between the two and have not had the difficulty you've described. I have a FAT formatted USB drive (from the days before I owned an Apple) and it works just fine. Maybe you got a lemon of an Apple.

When Apple was running their "so easy" campaign, I got a lot of calls from older people in my area who had bought their first computer and had chosen to go Apple. The biggest complaint matches the big one that I have about the UI: the toolbar that's not always for the program that you're working in. I've had some of them figure out my laptop just by picking it up, and I run Openbox...

You're surprised that "first time" computer owners called in? You're holding that against Apple? First time computer buyers that chose PC call in just as much.

When a tech company surpasses big oil in market cap then obviously those that feel Apples products are "hard to use" are in the minority. Especially in terms of smart phones.

^^^This^^^

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've transfered files between the two and have not had the difficulty you've described. I have a FAT formatted USB drive (from the days before I owned an Apple) and it works just fine. Maybe you got a lemon of an Apple.

Two of my Macolyte buddies have observed the same thing. It's not so bad transferring small 1MB PowerPoints, but transferring 100MB+ files is where it becomes extremely noticeable. A support call with Apple said that it was "normal".

You're surprised that "first time" computer owners called in? You're holding that against Apple? First time computer buyers that chose PC call in just as much.

Not in my experience. I got a greater volume of calls from first time Apple buyers than I get from first time Windows buyers. Differentiating between Apple versus PC shows a certain level of ignorance of the underlying architecture. And I got more repeat calls for UI issues, specifically that stupid toolbar.

When I worked as a network technician, I had a significantly higher rate of failure from the Apple machines than I did from the Windows machines. Moreover, I received many petty calls that they couldn't login, when the problem was with Apple posting a login dialog before the machine had even requested an IP from the network. So much for the "faster boot" argument.

Latest posts

Top Bottom