Why buy the new iPhone 4S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When a tech company surpasses big oil in market cap then obviously those that feel Apples products are "hard to use" are in the minority. Especially in terms of smart phones.

Not necessarily. Well-marketed does not equate to a superior product. I see a lot of "praise" for certain products because the buyer needs a way to justify the premium that wasn't worth paying.

Well it's certainly not going to be by showing them your mini.

That's not my Mini, it's my wife's.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I worked as a network technician, I had a significantly higher rate of failure from the Apple machines than I did from the Windows machines. Moreover, I received many petty calls that they couldn't login, when the problem was with Apple posting a login dialog before the machine had even requested an IP from the network. So much for the "faster boot" argument.

The faster boot argument isn't an argument. It's a simple fact and it's not even close. There have also been studies, not your anecdotal report, showing Macs gave fewer problems.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The faster boot argument isn't an argument. It's a simple fact and it's not even close. There have also been studies, not your anecdotal report, showing Macs gave fewer problems.

Each "study" I've seen in a magazine or blog referenced the login screen as the final point in the boot process.

When the login screen isn't the final point in the boot process on one OS while it is the login screen is the final point on other OS's is an apples to oranges comparison.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two of my Macolyte buddies have observed the same thing. It's not so bad transferring small 1MB PowerPoints, but transferring 100MB+ files is where it becomes extremely noticeable. A support call with Apple said that it was "normal".

Don't know what to tell ya...I've transferred 500MB movies with no issues. YMMV.

Not in my experience. I got a greater volume of calls from first time Apple buyers than I get from first time Windows buyers.

Thankfully, I've never had a job (other than Convergys for 3 weeks) that required providing extensive customer service over the phone. That being said, plenty of my friends did the tech support gig and they all have their favorite stories of stupid customers. That being said, did you actually record the number of Windows vs. Apple calls?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Well-marketed does not equate to a superior product. I see a lot of "praise" for certain products because the buyer needs a way to justify the premium that wasn't worth paying.

Apple will have limited appeal to the power dork crowd for sure, but to the masses it's obvious. So "superior" will be relative. Apple was smart enough to figure out that the growing "older" demographic will be quite a bit more illiterate when comes to the latest and greatest tech gadgets. They have changed the phone interface in a KISS sort of way and everyone else has followed. Those who didn't (RIMM) have gone by the wayside.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The elephant here that has been skipped is it isn't just the hardware that makes the phone, its the whole package. If it was just the hardware, people would be driving the stock cars that you see at the races on the road because they have the optimum hardware.
But people want their lexus, acura, etc because it offers the whole package.

Where the iPhone lacks on hardware since it isn't cutting edge (though it is well on Par), it for well makes up for it on the software side. Just like people enjoy their one-touch power windows and steering wheel controls, people enjoy the iPhones simplicity factor that does things in a common sense manner.

Android lacks the refined touch of the iOS system. Pure and simple and that along the refined appearance of the hardware of the iPhone is what gives it the edge it has.

Latest posts

Top Bottom