Why haven't you tried some competitive shooting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Video of my first match at Okc Gun Club:

LINK ==> OKCGC Aug 04 2012

Shooting production, start & stop targets were paper out of camera view, required mag change anytime small blue steel was shot.

You don't have to be good to play, just willing to play.
Who wouldn't like ringing some steel on a Saturday morning?

Don't let the word "competitive" keep you away. I'm a recreational hobby shooter that has found matches to be a blast, and I am seeing improvement in my shooting as well as becoming MUCH more comfortable handling and running the gun.

There are a lot of great guys and gals out there to help anyone willing to give it a try.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steve you are one if the guys I was thinking about when I posed this question. You started what 12-18 months ago now? You have progressed into an excellent shooter and you now shoot more matches than just about anyone in the state. Kudus to you for stepping out of your comfort zone and coming to your first match.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jesse, thanks for the compliment.

I shot my first match at Heartland Outdoors in May 2011 at age 53. You are never too old to start and learn something new! I just looked at my log and I've shot in 43 matches since the bug bit :) and one was the State Single Stack championship and one was the Limited / Open State match!

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
while it may be fun my shooting time is a "family affair" me, wifey, and 3 kids. all of us shooting competition would get expensive quickly. for now I'll settle with occasional plinking or an eat n shoot or snack n shoot with members on here.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
while it may be fun my shooting time is a "family affair" me, wifey, and 3 kids. all of us shooting competition would get expensive quickly. for now I'll settle with occasional plinking or an eat n shoot or snack n shoot with members on here.

Maybe the question Jesse is asking is directed more towards people like me who have gone to range over and over again and thinking "Man, there has got to be something esle I can do besides just standing here shooting paper straight down range". I saw a video of Mike Cyrwus shooting a USPSA match at H&H and said that is what I'm talking about. It still took me about 9-12 months after that that I finally got the nerve to go to a match by myself not knowing anyone, the first person who introduced himself to me was Jesse. Now the only thing I can think of is I wish I would have done this a looonng time ago because Jesse sure is pretty and I'm not getting any younger. Really, if you're on the fence you should do it now. At a USPSA match you might only 150-200 rounds of 9mm and that ain't bad for getting out, getting some excercise, and testing you skills.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A lot of people bring their wives and/or children to Steel Challenge. You really could all use one gun. A couple of guns would be better, but you could manage with one. 22 ammo is cheap. Entry fees aren't too bad for Steel Challenge either.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people bring their wives and/or children to Steel Challenge. You really could all use one gun. A couple of guns would be better, but you could manage with one. 22 ammo is cheap. Entry fees aren't too bad for Steel Challenge either.

8,9,11....attention span is nil...I know better lol...I wouldn't mind the competitions myself but don't think the kids would enjoy it or like sitting around

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every time some guy said "Yeah, I'll meet you at the range next month and give it a go" who never shows up I'd be a rich woman.

And let me tell you guys ... If some fat, old woman can do it anyone can. I was over 45 and had been shooting less than 6 months when I shot my first match at OKCGC. You have not lived until you have gone to the bathroom, thrown your guts up because you were so scared you were gonna do something stupid and then come out and shot a stage.

Guys ... seriously ... you aren't getting any younger ... just DO IT!! You aren't gonna make a fool outta yourself. Every single solitary person who is a GM shooter was a beginner once and didn't know "come here from sic'em" ... Seriously ... If this is something you have ever said to yourself "Man, I'd like to give that a try" JUST GO DO IT!

Latest posts

Top Bottom