Why I’m not a plumber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So our shower faucet been leaking off and on for about two weeks, so today I shut off the water drained the faucet and started to remove the faucet cartridge. I removed the knob, then the chrome sleeve and the round cover. Next it’s the brass ring which holds the cartridge in and that thing wouldn’t budge at all, got the pipe wrench after it and still wouldn’t budge then it started to bend.🤦‍♂️ So I stopped and said a few words and then got another pipe wrench to back it up and using them both in opposing directions it finally came off. I don’t recall the last time it was this difficult. Other than that, all is working and not leaking. I’m glad I’m not a plumber, but I’m sure I saved a few bucks.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put screw on fittings on my tub valves. Easier to just change the whole thing out anymore.
1716747484658.png

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So our shower faucet been leaking off and on for about two weeks, so today I shut off the water drained the faucet and started to remove the faucet cartridge. I removed the knob, then the chrome sleeve and the round cover. Next it’s the brass ring which holds the cartridge in and that thing wouldn’t budge at all, got the pipe wrench after it and still wouldn’t budge then it started to bend.🤦‍♂️ So I stopped and said a few words and then got another pipe wrench to back it up and using them both in opposing directions it finally came off. I don’t recall the last time it was this difficult. Other than that, all is working and not leaking. I’m glad I’m not a plumber, but I’m sure I saved a few bucks.
I had to use a hacksaw blade to remove that ring the last time I changed a cartridge out. I cut a groove down to where I saw the first glance of threads then used a flat head screwdriver, stuck it in the groove and turned the screwdriver. It broke the corroded ring loose.

I had bought a new ring with the cartridge, just in case.

I slobbered some anti sieve on the new ring before installing it. Hopefully, that will make the next replacement easier.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, I HATE plumbing.

I had a similar episode. Son was around 10 and Wif told him to watch how I fixed it, he might need to know how, someday.

I, finally, got it apart and he wandered off. Wif asked if he was learning anything?
He laughs, "lots of new words."

She asks me and I told her, "plumbing requires a specific vocabulary. "

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my shower valve and I went to Locke’s a plumber told me to spray it with WD-40. I did and it came off easily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom