Why I never wear tennis shoes out here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Not super knowledgable about snakes other than I don’t like them. Is that a bull snake? Look a lot like a rattler but without the rattle.
Copperhead, I don’t think we have them out here; I’ve never seen one. We do have tons of Western Diamondbacks, massasaugas, and Pygmy rattlesnakes.

Edit: from OKsnakes, the range of broadbanded copperheads is most of Caddo county and the north half of Comanche county. I still have never seen one out here
http://www.oksnakes.org/

Last edited:

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Copperhead, I don’t think we have them out here; I’ve never seen one. We do have tons of Western Diamondbacks, massasaugas, and Pygmy rattlesnakes.

Edit: from OKsnakes, the range of broadbanded copperheads is most of Caddo county and the north half of Comanche county. I still have never seen one out here

Have you seen the map of where western diamondbacks are located? It’s strange how/where they are. Pretty much non existent up here in the Panhandle except for what looks to be the western side of Cimarron County, can’t say I’ve actually ever seen one out there before though.

But just south of me in the Texas Panhandle they apparently live… And a few counties in Kansas. Can’t say I’ve ever seen one working in the Texas Panhandle though.

I’m only familiar with Prairie Rattlesnakes, haven’t been around any other venomous snakes before.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen the map of where western diamondbacks are located? It’s strange how/where they are. Pretty much non existent up here in the Panhandle except for what looks to be the western side of Cimarron County, can’t say I’ve actually ever seen one out there before though.

But just south of me in the Texas Panhandle they apparently live… And a few counties in Kansas. Can’t say I’ve ever seen one working in the Texas Panhandle though.

I’m only familiar with Prairie Rattlesnakes, haven’t been around any other venomous snakes before.
They have a note above the distro map that when you click it, they explain why it’s jacked up. They don’t show Massasaugas and Pygmy’s in our area but I see more of those than diamondbacks. They have almost all of Caddo county without diamondbacks but probably the most famous rattlesnake roundup is in Apache.

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
They have a note above the distro map that when you click it, they explain why it’s jacked up. They don’t Massasaugas and Pygmy’s in our area but I see more of those than diamondbacks. They have almost all of Caddo county without diamondbacks but probably the most famous rattlesnake roundup is in Apache.

Forgot to post the map I saw

IMG_1734.jpeg

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Now that I think about it, the only copperheads that I’ve seen were in northern Comanche county. I didn’t know that fact. I’ve got property up around Saddle Mountain, and they are definitely around that area which is almost to the Comanche/Caddo line. There was an old Comanche named Ike Johnny that lived near my property. He lived there most of his life, and there was a natural spring about a half mile from his house. He hauled water from that spring on a daily basis because he didn’t have running water in his house. He told me to be very careful when I was down by the spring and creek because the copperheads are thick in there. He wasn’t lying. I’m going to cut some trails along the creek this winter, but I’m not going near it until we get our first freeze.

Latest posts

Top Bottom