Why I never wear tennis shoes out here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to need to hear this story, Saddlebum!
wife raised goats , I came out in the morning to go to work and needed to water her goats before I left. a billy was trying to butt me and I was holding on to his horn watching him while I reached for the hose with the other hand . copperhead was coiled up in the rolled up hose and got me . if I hadn't been distracted by that goat he wouldn't got me

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, a copperhead. I had a minor run-in with a coontail (western diamondback rattler) Monday. Was out cutting off some stumps from spring firewood cutting and as I walked past a pile of brush I felt a thump and my rt leg moved sideways a little. Dam rattler struck me, so out comes the .357 with shotloads. Guess it didn't get the memo "don't pick a biting fight with a cranky, toothless old fat man...he will just shoot ya". After checking my leg to be sure of no fang marks, I laid it along a tape measure...5ft 3inch with 13 rattles so not a big one but sure enough mature.
What were you wearing where it struck you?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, a copperhead. I had a minor run-in with a coontail (western diamondback rattler) Monday. Was out cutting off some stumps from spring firewood cutting and as I walked past a pile of brush I felt a thump and my rt leg moved sideways a little. Dam rattler struck me, so out comes the .357 with shotloads. Guess it didn't get the memo "don't pick a biting fight with a cranky, toothless old fat man...he will just shoot ya". After checking my leg to be sure of no fang marks, I laid it along a tape measure...5ft 3inch with 13 rattles so not a big one but sure enough mature.
Right sized to boil up and make chowder out of

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I first thought this one was a little dog turd pile in the lawn by the hot tub
IMG_20191001_085711.jpg

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What were you wearing where it struck you?
My normal "get out in the brush" gear....muck boots with homemade 12oz leather wrap around leggings. So far they've done fine, even stopped a biting dog from getting my hide. Don't know for sure they'll always work so I always check to be certain nothing got thru.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL not a big one?!🤣
Well, no sir in my book they ain't"bigguns" til they hit 6ft. Biggest I've personally killed was a smidgin over 7ft, but I've seen 3 in my life that were barely short of 8ft on a tape. Now them bastages is scary big, fangs like a 12 penny nail.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s something I’ve always wanted to see in the wild was a rattler.

Used to work down at Ft. Sill and got to go to the east and west ranges a little but never saw one. Plenty of copperheads in my part of Caddo County but no rattlers thank goodness.

Dad was bit by a Copperhead back in 1990 and spent a day, maybe two in the hospital. He said it felt like fire when the snake injected the venom into his hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom