Why the explanation in a for sale ad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the irony is too subtle.

One might think my OP was merely a WTB ad for the Ruger.

Not that I would ever do such a thing, but, still, if you have one .......... (at 50% off) ......... PM me. ;)
So, how much are those doing on GB? Not that I’d ever sell mine but I’m curious

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
"Wanting to fund my annual excursion to Maui." Or, "Selling to buy my vacation home in the Adironbacks on Lake Placid."

Who cares? All that matters is the price. Go to gunbroker completed sales then deduct 10%.

If you're selling a Ruger 10/22 stainless with laminated mannlicher stock, deduct 50%.

Nobody is impressed with your leisure resume.

(BTW, concerning that third item, if you happen to have one for sale at half off, PM me.)

;)
as a buyer, one of my first instincts buying ANYTHING that is used is "why are they selling?"

as a seller, it's a way to connect to the buyer, normalize yourself as a seller, and also immediately answer the question of "this does item have unseen flaws that is the reason for sale"? in a passive manner that isn't THIS ITEM IS 100% PERFECT FLAWLESS spam.

just saying "i would keep this, there's nothing wrong with it, AND i even like/enjoy it, but i want something else more" is a very valid reason to sell, it's why i've sold basically anything i've ever parted with. that statement usually gets reduced to "selling for boat" because it's less to type or whatever.

heck i'll add i bought a cz pcr from a guy on here that was selling his guns because he couldn't take them with him to live in south america. i'm glad he told me because i think that's awesome and i hope he's doing great and thoroughly enjoying his choice. not because i think about doing the same thing or anything......

Last edited:

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Narcissism pure and simple
lol you've never sold something because you wanted something else? trust me, i've sold things are pieces of crap but i always tell people they are pieces of crap.

as a buyer, you're always wondering if what you are buying might be a piece of crap. that *might* even be why a person is selling it. but some people don't always admit that.

if you are selling things that aren't pieces of crap, saying "i'm selling this only to fund something else" is a legitimate exchange of information. none of this applies to just firearms in any form; this is a basis of all transactions involving used commodities or goods.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I listed a bunch of ammo that I no longer have guns to disperse them with and got nothing.

I tried to explain that the money was going to support single mothers at the Red Dog or Night Trips and still nothing.

At this point the girls will be without my money but I will let them know I tried.

Out of curiosity, are the folks complaining limited to a certain number of words they can read per day?

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It saves the seller from being asked "why are you selling." I'm guilty of asking that myself when really all that matters is if I want it and the price is right. :)
I was at a gun show in Louisville, KY, back in the day before internet, gunbroker, etc., and asked a couple that very question. They had an impressive array of firearms and I was looking at one in particular. I asked why they were selling.

He said his wife needed heart surgery and she had no insurance.

I've never asked that question again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom