Why was the Civil War Fought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, in an effort to keep my anti-racism KKK thread on track I'm starting this thread for us to discuss our opinions of why the Civil War was fought.

Now, get after it.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because we have two suspected klansmen on osa.

That thread is about racism, this thread is to discuss the motivations for the war. It's an interesting subject, there is what we were taught in school and what we have learned since, the vary dramatically depending on the sources. We all may learn something or gain a new perspective.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was fought for money and control. All other issues are irrelevant. Whether it's a shooting war or not, those are the two things we'll be fighting the next civil war over.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm... I'll see if I can find my term paper from years ago in Civil War History. One of my best college papers... all 14 bloody pages of it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were many reasons, and most reasons come back to slavery.

You had the obvious, slave issue and the abolition movement of the north.

You had the economy issue. The south was being taxed heavily on exports and relied heavily on cheap (slave) labor.

You had a anti-slavery president going into office.

You had the issue of newly created states and whether they should be free or slave states.

So sure, the civil war was about more than slavery, but the other things, when broken down, come back to slavery in some form or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom