Why you shouldn't argue when you've been caught carrying in a posted business...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work in a place where it is posted. My bosses know how I feel about it, nevertheless, they're the bosses and that's why I have to figure out other means of safety and defense when I'm here. I'm coming up on 18 years here and so far, I'd say I've done that pretty well. Every now and then, a person ignores the sign and comes in, the piece gets spotted and I get the task of telling them to leave it in their vehicle. 99.9% of the time I get "sure thing! no problem! I just didn't see it" and it's no big deal and for those of you who have politely complied with those businesses, I thank you. A few times, on the way to their car, I get the "but what would you do if..." or "but it's not safe" line of questioning and in those cases I explain that I agree with them, I'm on their side when it comes to 2A issues but rules are rules and sometimes we're forced to find other means of defense. (Which there are. A gun is merely a force multiplier) In the past 2 months, I've had 2 times where some individuals came in carrying, I approached them and gave them my spiel about needing to leave it in their locked vehicle and instead of cooperation or even a polite line of questioning, I got: "what will you do if I don't?" and "If you don't carry a gun, how will you make me?" I won't say where that went but let's just say I "made them" and now they're banned until the sun burns out. Guys and Gals, this is NOT WHAT TO DO and is certainly NOT HELPING OUR CAUSE. Now you can argue property rights vs 2A rights all you want and I can sympathize with both sides. Nevertheless, if it's somebody's unwanted task to ask you to remove your firearm from their property and they've been completely polite and understanding about it, please don't make statements that can be construed as threatening or belligerent. Definitely don't bow up and get stupid. The simple presence of a firearm on your person doesn't mean they will back down and many have had sufficient training and experience in taking it away from you. I understand why some of you disregard the signs (I've done it myself) but there's no reason you can't be courteous when breaking the rules. Most importantly, please remember that people still have to enforce those rules and even if there's no real bad intent on your part, somebody could get seriously hurt because of the point you're trying to make and it's simply not worth it.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, and I've found myself considering gunbuster signs merely a suggestion with the exception of federal buildings and schools. I never push my luck there. I've just recently been able to convince my wife not to point to signs and say "you can't carry in there." (She's trying to be helpful)
Where do you work? Or, if you can't or don't want to say, what type of place is it? Don't answer that if you'd rather not....just curious.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"What are you going to do if I don't?" Really said that?

The whole purpose of CCW is to intervene during a threat. It sounds like he was becoming the threat.
I agree with you that this won't help the cause. If a private business owner wants to not allow it then they are well within their rights to do so. Where do property rights end and the right to carry begin?

I don't carry personally. (I've gone back and forth on this.) I understand though if some people don't want it. A private business has the right to choose or not to allow it and it shouldn't be forced on them. Public spaces are a different matter.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I appreciate your pain. The other reason to just be polite is simply the fact that if spotted carrying in a posted location then asked to leave or put your gun in the car and do not, it is considered trespassing ( I believe) if the Law is involved. Who needs that headache anyway?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...the fact that if spotted carrying in a posted location then asked to leave or put your gun in the car and do not, it is considered trespassing ( I believe) if the Law is involved. Who needs that headache anyway?

It's actually a citation not to exceed $250.

Latest posts

Top Bottom