Wildlife Department confirms mountain lion sightings in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two or three pics of this one this year.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_IM000032_zpsfe0cab41.jpg

I'd have jumped out of my tree stand, and petted that little kitty. :hey3:

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a couple that "I think" we're big cats. It happened fast.

Think I heard one one night fishing on the Arkansas river

For sure saw one deer hunting about 350 yards out. Watched it through 10x50mm leupold binoculars. BEAUTIFUL. Popped out along a fence line for about 100 yards and then back into some tall Johnson grass.

All of these near marland, ok.

I think one got hit by the train near red rock also had some sort of collar I wanna say.

Sent via message in a bottle

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's another pic of one from a couple years ago. If you know your Steigers, this is clearly a Cougar........even says so written on the side.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_2012_20cam_PRMS0928.jpg

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw one a few years ago on the side of highway 51 headed to Tulsa from STW. I thought it was a great dane at first and then got a good look at it. It had been hit. It's paws were the size of my head. I was hauling a car up there, otherwise I would have grabbed the body for a nice rug. When I came back a couple hours later, it was gone.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am the only man in Oklahoma who has yet to see one.... That's how lucky I am.

I've only seen the tail end of one. That was at Black Mesa St. Park. We stayed there during a doe antelope hunt and the Park guy said one comes into the park fairly often right after dark................sure enough, under the street lamp right after dark the second night we were there. Otherwise, in the main body of the state, no I've not either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shown my wife a black panther more than once while driving down the road with the low sun in our face and a coyote ran across the road. Looks pure black with a long tail. Cats and dogs don't run alike though. Easy to tell a canine when its running.

Last edited:

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad said that back in the 1930's, he and his three brothers(my uncles) said that they were swimming in the Cimmarron River and found a set of tracks that had to be a mountain lion because of their size. About the only thing I've seen in the wild is a bobcat. I've got a friend that said he saw one down around McAllister on a Controlled Hunt. He said that he reported it to the Rangers and they kinda blew him off the first day and then were full of questions the next day. He also said he had seen one while hunting in North Central Ok also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom