Winchester 1895 30-06 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,
How many of you own these either originals or reproductions? I have a chance to buy an original 30-06 made in 1915 for $650 it is the carbine version missing top handguard and ladder sight the stock has had repairs to it but in my eyes it is a cool piece think it is worth that. The only drawback i have is i heard the 30-06 ones had some headspacing issues? I would like to buy one for hunting pigs. I appreciate your time.
Matt

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Own two reproductions(Japanese made) Winchester 1895. One 270 and the other 30-06, I'm sorry and remiss but I know nothing of the originals..I need to read up on these.

My grandfather had an original and dang if I can remember what caliber it was....I'm thinking 405, 30-06, 30-03/30-40krag?? My aunt sold it in an estate sell before I knew about it being up for sale...so it got away.

I think it was the rifle where my granddad would unscrew the but plate and put his hunting license under it.

Wasn't this rifle called "Big Medicine" by President T.Roosvelt...his 405??

I''ll be watching this thread for better information!!!!

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes Teddy did use the term Big Medicine for the 405. I just got the bug to buy one of these and trying to get more info from actual owners of these. I still think for $650 on an original is not a bad buy? But may spend a little more and get a newer edition. Do you like your 95's how do they shoot pretty accurate?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not own one, but the price appears to be very good on the one you are considering.

Personally I think old guns and old airplanes belong on display. This does not endear me to my friends in the aviation community.

Today's 30-06 ammo may be a tad hotter than the early 20th century stuff. If I were going to hunt with this gun, I would want it gone over by a very competent smith, to include test firing.

I'd also determine what loads were used originally. Then I would back off from those loads by maybe 10%. We give up nearly a hundred years of metallurgy with guns from this era. This would of course get your performance down to levels you might not like.

I wish I could give you what you are asking for in this thread, but I do not have specific experience with this gun.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always keep an eye out for one in 7.62x54r. Nothing sexier than a lever gun that loads with a stripper clip.

Except for maybe a stripper that loads with a lever. :D :D

Seriously I fired a friends original in 30.06 maybe 30 years ago. I do remember him saying something about not using heavy loads.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather had an original 30/40 Krag with a lyman peep, we shot it with full power factory ammo, didn't seem to be an issue. My uncle has it now dang it, wish my dad would have gotten it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom