Winchester .30-30 Discharge Injures Lexington Man

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were having one of those conversations couples have between two rooms of their home in Lexington, Okla. on the afternoon of June 6.

Landon was in the kitchen. Autumn was in the bedroom. When the gun went off, she said, all she heard for a second was a loud ring in her ears.

"My knees buckled, and I just started to fall," Landon, 18, told McClatchy from his bed at the SSM Bone and Joint Hospital in Oklahoma City. "I didn't realize what had happened for the first couple seconds. Then I looked and my feet and thought, 'Oh, well I've been shot.'"

His Winchester .30-30 caliber rifle had been sitting in a corner of the kitchen loaded for about a day, he said. He told KFOR he had noticed a possible prowler hanging around the couple's home and his mother-in-law's home, on the same property, so he propped it in the corner just to have it close by.

The gun was a wedding gift. It's an older model, and doesn't have a safety on the firing pin, Landon told McClatchy.

When he opened the refrigerator door as he yelled something to Autumn, the wall shook ever so slightly, and the rifle tipped over toward where he was standing. Landon just so happened to be standing right in the line of fire when it hit the floor and went off.

"It was one of those freak accidents," Landon said.

The bullet went all the way through his right heel and broke apart while inside his left foot, KFOR reported.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article213263659.html#storylink=cpy

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So much for penetration. Sounds more like he shot himself in the foot, bullet disintegrated on concrete floor and lodged in foot.
Winchester 94's have safety features. like the lever has to be all the way up to disengage the trigger stop, half cock notch to catch hammer if trigger is not fully pulled. In any case maybe he'll get some gun safety lessons in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom