?Winchester Ranger 30/30 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering doing some swapping for a Winchester Ranger 30/30. My questions are 1) What would the value be in comparison to a regular rifle and 2) Is it true that Winchesters are no longer U.S. made.

thanks..

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what a good friend told me. Winchester has stopped producing firearms and are just doing ammo.

What is a "Ranger" 30-30?

Here one I just picked up right here at OSA (Thanks riley007! ;))

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a Good Looking Gun..

My barrel is stamped the usual 'Winchester Proof Steel.. Conneticut etc.. but also is stamped Ranger Model. Not sure what the barrel length is. I'm told that it was produced early '90s.. Not being made in the US anymore, I think I'll keep it ...

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_94.htm

The Ranger series are the current economy models; the synthetic stocked Black Shadow models having been discontinued in 2000. Ranger models are supplied with a "hardwood" (not walnut) stock and an inferior finish. The standard Ranger model comes with a 20 inch barrel in caliber .30-30 only, and is basically a cheap version of the un-checkered Traditional rifle.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before Winchester closed their New Haven factory (thus ending 94 production), a used Ranger in excellent condition would have ball-parked around $200. After the factory closed, values spiked sharply...however, when Obama was elected there was wide-spread panic buying of "assault" type items. "Normal" used hunting rifles, including 94's went begging again. The panic buying has taken alot of discretionary spending out of the gun market and I would think values remain soft. Nonetheless, 94's are out of production so that used excellent Ranger may still command more than $200.

A post '64 economy model with a cross-bolt safety is NOT a collectible. Value it as the good hunting rifle that it is.

Winchester was already owned by the same corporation that owns FN and Browning. Winchester 70's are being made again, although they are made at the FN plant in South Carolina. As far as I know, there are no plans to make the 94 again. Rumors were that the tooling was not saved. If they did make it again, it would probably be a fairly expensive proposition.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had seen 94s going anywhere from $150 to $500. The only reason I bought mine is because of the larger loop. The big loop is a love/hate kinda thing. Folks either love 'em or hate 'em.

I LOVE 'em!!! :naughty: That "Duke" loop was the selling factor for me. ;)

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great Information ! ..

I like the Ranger and will keep it around as a bush gun. It looks to be a good size for the 13 year old boy as well. If our new local gun range allows rifles, I think we will try the Winchester out...

With the demise of Winchester manufacturing,... ...I'm really regretting letting go of a pre64 30/30..

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not seen any 94s for under 350 and thats the regular 20 inch barrel. Whenever anything stops being made, I don't care if theres a zillon of them, price goes up. Whats the first thing heard? "well their not making em' anymore" add to that a special model like a trapper, add another 1-150. I don't see many trappers around and I'm looking. The gun may not be a collector but it will hold it's price and probably increase. I remember buying a type 56 sks in 92' under a 100 and sold the gun in Tulsa 2 weeks ago for 285.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The teenager has been eye'n it and thinks he's gonna claim it for himself... Maybe we'll get a chance to shoot it this week...
..better start pricing ammo for it..