WMA: What do you look for in a "spot"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhunt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tractors usually mean food plots or some type of crp planting that is put out there for the wildife.

Personally like said before I look for spots way the hell away from everyone else and I also look for "back door" enterances to them.

For example, the spot I went out and scouted today offers this:
Easy route in, per se. 1.75-2.0 mile walk down a dirt farm access road from the parking lot, then cut across or walk along the edge of a hay field. However, I can get to about 100 yards from where I will be placing my stand or blind by water and get there before other hunters enter the woods and as they do from the parking lot they will be pushing the deer towards me. I am also in a natural funnel that pushes 2 lines of timber together and 300 yards across from me is where 3 lines of timber push together. Also the sign around the area tipped me to a buck prepping his breeding area. Plus the water and I found bedding areas about 500 yards from where I will be. There were other good spots that were closer to the parking lot but this one has my back door enterance. Also, talking with anyone you can who lives or works the area helps. For example, the guy who has the land lease for farming hay was pulling out as I got back to the truck and told me he's seen the same big bodied 12pt about a mile closer to the parking lot, but he said as soon as black powder opens up (when I'll be there) the other hunters coming in are going to push him right back to where I will be. Google Maps / Google Earth can help narrow some spots but nothin beets the good old fashioned puttin miles on the boots.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback kids. Went out yesterday for a bit but had to leave early because my buddy had something come up. I'm going back out tomorrow to sit for quite a few hours to see what I can see. Any restrictions on knocking one down on a WMA food plot? I didn't see anything in the manual...

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
TAGS? What do you guys use for tags? The regs say they can be in any form as long as they have certain info. In Texas, they are attached to the license. If you use a certain kind, where do you get them?

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TAGS? What do you guys use for tags? The regs say they can be in any form as long as they have certain info. In Texas, they are attached to the license. If you use a certain kind, where do you get them?

I use a luggage tag.
ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_71ktPWLo2FL._AA1145_.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got it written on a small piece of paper, carry them in my wallet. On the hunt a carry a zip tie in my jacket pocket, if I harvest a deer, write the the time and date, cram the paper in its ear and zip tie it shut.

Latest posts

Top Bottom