WW I era Colt .45 - Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I borrowed my Dad's 1911 to show here and ask you fine folks some questions. This is a 1913 issue Colt .45 that has been in the family since it was issued. Unfortunately it has not been stored properly and has developed some surface rust. I was able to knock most of it off after these pictures were taken with a toothbrush and some Hoppe's, but it does have some light pitting. So here come the questions:

1.) Is it safe to shoot a gun of this age? It's all original as far as I know.

2.) Should I media blast it and have it re-blued? Would that hurt the value?

3.) What is it worth?

4.) Would re-finishing it hurt or help the value?

5.) Where's a good place to get some proper wood grips?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Eric67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't help with the value or where to find grips but I would absolutely NOT refinish it even touch up the finish if it was mine. The original finish and the patina it has developed over the years give it it's character. I would live with the imperfections and be mighty proud to have that pistol in my safe! Just clean it up best you can and keep it well oiled. Just my opinion.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely do not blast it, sand it, or otherwise mess with it. You did good with the Hoppes and a toothbrush, but thats as aggressive as I would go. The patina is what it is, just leave it be. Refinishing the gun would destroy the value.

As for safety, the gun is, in and of itself safe, but it would need to be gone over by someone who knew what they were doing to determine the individual guns condition. Based on what I can see, the gun appears to be in fantastic shape for its age and treatment.

I would be inclined to buy a set of original grips for it, and put it up. Its an heirloom, and an actual piece of history. I hate safe queens as a rule, but this one may get a pass.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would absolutely NOT refinish it even touch up the finish if it was mine. The original finish and the patina it has developed over the years give it it's character. I would live with the imperfections and be mighty proud to have that pistol in my safe! Just clean it up best you can and keep it well oiled.

Agree 10000% the original finish and patina is where alot of value comes from.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually disagree a little...

It doesn't have a lot of value in that condition $1000ish at best. So, refinishing isn't ruining it. Character of use is one thing, but an unkept gun with a bad result is another.

It's a neat piece of history, though.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone else said about refinishing. I'd have it checked by a gunsmith and if it gets a clean bill of health, I'd shoot it now & then.

-S

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I borrowed my Dad's 1911 to show here and ask you fine folks some questions. This is a 1913 issue Colt .45 that has been in the family since it was issued. Unfortunately it has not been stored properly and has developed some surface rust. I was able to knock most of it off after these pictures were taken with a toothbrush and some Hoppe's, but it does have some light pitting. So here come the questions:

1.) Is it safe to shoot a gun of this age? It's all original as far as I know.

2.) Should I media blast it and have it re-blued? Would that hurt the value?

3.) What is it worth?

4.) Would re-finishing it hurt or help the value?

5.) Where's a good place to get some proper wood grips?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

1. Yes, I would say that it's safe to shoot. Inspect it carefully before doing so.

2. No. Just give it a good coat of oil and wipe it down.

3. Since it has been in the family so long, I would never sell it. This is something that needs to be passed on further.

4. I would not refinish it.

5. Try the gun shows or Numerich Arms, Charlies Surplus (ad in Shotgun News).

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm going take a different stance on it...

if it is indeed a family heirloom, in my eyes... monetary value means nothing to me. If I were to acquire this as an investment, then no, I wouldn't refinish it unless a few conditions apply. Having said that, as a family gun that will never be sold, I personally would prefer to have it refinished to look original, that way it is protected for years to come and wouldn't quite involve as much special care as it does in it's current state.

But again, it is COMPLETELY up to you.

As for grips, are you wanting true original grips? If so, you're going to pay for them... but you can get re-pros for around $30 IIRC. And again... IIRC, being a 1913 gun, it would have had walnut grips, not plastic.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it provided a good clean bill of health from somebody who knows what to look for. My shooting buddy has an original Colt 1911A1 as well (granted, a bit newer) that gets about 1000 rounds a year through it. If you would like, I would be more than happy to go over it with you to do a safety inspection and show you the ins and outs of the 1911 platform. I am no smith, but I know my way around them alright. :)

Cool gun though!

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After looking over the pictures again, you do indeed appear to have an all original 1911, it really is a nice pistol.

If you choose not to refinish it, but still shoot it, I would wear gloves so you don't sweat all over it... and clean it every time you get done shooting it... you don't want to cause anymore damage than it already has.

Latest posts

Top Bottom