WW I era Colt .45 - Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euclid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't ever plan on selling it. It will be handed down to him, just as my father will do for me. I think for now I will just keep it clean and put a nice set of walnut grips on it.

Amen to that!

I'd consider selling it to a collector who will not diminish the value of the piece as opposed to refinishing it. If you need to have a pretty 1911 to shoot, go buy a new one...leave this one alone, please.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not refinish. The most I would do is rub it down with Hoppes and 0000 steel wool. That will knock down the high points on the surface rust that the toothbrush didn't get and allow the rust preventative to get deeper into the pores of the metal where the surface rust is.

A Turnbull restoration is the gold standard if you go that route though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't help with the value or where to find grips but I would absolutely NOT refinish it even touch up the finish if it was mine. The original finish and the patina it has developed over the years give it it's character. I would live with the imperfections and be mighty proud to have that pistol in my safe! Just clean it up best you can and keep it well oiled. Just my opinion.

thats a very good opinion.
If your still needing grips, check out: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...fI05Qy&usg=AFQjCNFhax4m8YhCg2NolU4dasiBXui_mQ

They had "authentic" grips for my 1928 Lignose, 3A "einhand".

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several places sell the Double Diamond wood grips that would be original to a 1911. Do not refinish it. If you must, contact someone like Turnbull who can do a very accurate restoration.
Great gun.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the majoraty on the issue of having the gun examined. I suggest Dr. Barry Greyson he knows his stuff. As far as re-finishing, Colt offers this service so you know it will be done properly and having it done by them would not deminish the guns value by a great deal if any at all just be sure to keep all your paper work. NINER

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I definitely won't refinish it. I found some nice double diamond walnut grips and I will post new pics when I get them in and on the gun. I won't ever sell it, I was just curious as to the value and for insurance purposes also. I think the coolest thing about it is that it's always been in my family, handed down throughout the years.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I definitely won't refinish it. I found some nice double diamond walnut grips and I will post new pics when I get them in and on the gun. I won't ever sell it, I was just curious as to the value and for insurance purposes also. I think the coolest thing about it is that it's always been in my family, handed down throughout the years.

that is really cool. Take good care of it, and my offer still stands to go over the in's and out's of the 1911 platform anytime.

I look forward to the pictures!

Latest posts

Top Bottom